using a pole for vaccination

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it looks like an accident waiting to happen. What happens if the needle breaks? Maybe if they were in a tight pen with other cattle (so they couldn't really move).

I personally would rather have the animal in a squeeze shoot.

I think that any cow that gets that is gonna go over a fence or take out the guy with the suringe.

we have used something similar its called a stock doctor.They get pretty smart after a time or 2. aqnd you can not get near them as easy unless your crafty.

We use the smaller version sometimes when tranquilizing feral cats. Not fun. Usually bend the needle. Break a lot. This is done in a very small space. I cannot imagine trying to stick one in a cow in a pen. Disaster.

jkwilson":2bdf7hbi said:
Use the money toward a chute. Then you can drink coffee while you are vaccinating.
i have a chute it works fine. i just ran across the (pole) in the supply catalog and was curious if anyone on here used 1.looks like the answer is no

we use one called a medi dart. Now we really have to sneak up on the cow or th four wheeler high gear (oh my) to get them. Use it out on pasture, if needed. but you can only get 50 cc in there and with 10 cc a sight it's a might hard to get 100 cc in a bull.
Best of luck if you can get them once, good Lord willing to get them twice let alone 10 times.
Thinking about the cross bow

We get them in the chute...

...but the vet has one on a stainless steel pole that he used to sedate the bull out in the pasture when we had to check on his feet... worked well for him.

cowboyup216":qaz57xvs said:
LOL he is using it on a docile hereford in the add. Id like to see him use it on a high headed char, lim, or brangus or brahman that is highly p.o.d hed get killed before he even got the needle in.
dont forget angus.

i would never use that. they could easily figure that one out.

IMO pole syringes and medi-darts are best used for "wild" animals (not necessarily domestic animals).

Always the problem of needle getting in, needle and syringe falling off in pasture (for human or another animal to step on), AND the issue that most cattle vaccinations are "sub-cutaneous" and not "IM".

Regardless of how "visible" the dart is that falls off animal, it would be like a "needle in a haystack" issue of trying to find & collect the needle/syringe.

Latest posts