Useful skills anyone dealing with cattle should have?

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4":uq29txnd said:
Very good question--- Lots of things we "just know" and think everyoneknows-- Watch your back,Kid the year ahead of me in Waco TSTI was killed by a bull on his 1st day on the job--had all the book learning,but no "hands on"

Now that's rough!

Alice

Very good question--- Lots of things we "just know" and think everyoneknows-- Watch your back,Kid the year ahead of me in Waco TSTI was killed by a bull on his 1st day on the job--had all the book learning,but no "hands on"

How did it happen?

AngusLimoX":2xmrw62c said:
msscamp":2xmrw62c said:
mtncows":2xmrw62c said:
I would say a course in diplomacy and PATIENCE wit cow and owner

Best post on this thread so far! ;-)

Must be a mandatory part of the vet school curricullum (sp?) here. :D
and its gonna be hard to do after you spend all those years in college and the money for tuition. too go out to a farm where a farmer has a cow thats had a prolaspe for days running around loose with no working facilities. remember patience....patience

Ratfish":32o1i7v4 said:

How did it happen?
I'm not sure,the teacher said he turned his back for an instant----they must not have had it restraned--- don't even know where he was working(sorry)

peg4x4":dx2e5anw said:

What program does TSTC offer that deals with cattle?

That Patience thing is a pretty big deal. A lot of train wrecks can be avoided by possessing that quality.

Simply understanding if I do this, what will it make the cow do goes a long way to saving time and effort. Some people seem to go out of their way to make cattle nervous. My dad always told me that if you need a hotshot to make a cow do what you want, you don't know how to handle cattle. :)

Patience, DEFINITELY....and how to handle the animals safely....also how to use handling equipment of various types as you gonna see everything from a gate against a fence to squeeze them to the old rope on the lowest rail....you will fall in love with For-Most....smile....

J":3ij9eijr said:
peg4x4":3ij9eijr said:

What program does TSTC offer that deals with cattle?

when I was there 25+ years ago,Ranch Management & Animal Medical training(vet tec) Can't find on computer now!!

two of the best vets ive known have no patience at all.sure helps their manners if you have your ducks in a row when they get there. dont leave it up to the vet to do your dirty work i never called one that i didnt have the cow in the chute ready when they got there.. well one time one got out and wouldnt go back i roped her and drug her sorry ... back in ;-)

Latest posts