Useful skills anyone dealing with cattle should have?

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Hey guys!!

First some background... I am a first year veterinary student, and I am interested in becoming a large animal vet, with a lot of time spent in bovine medicine.

I am a member of a bovine club, and we get to do extra wet lab working with the cattle, to get xperience we don't acquire in the normal curriculum.

So, my question is, they asked us to bring suggestions of what types of labs we would like to have. I believe we are doing a palpation lab and a dehorning lab as is... and I think the suggestion of AI was brought up. What some other useful skills someone working with and around cattle should have, which would be easy to fascilitate in a group hands on session?

TCFC

Ditto----Definetly cattle handling--- Temple Gradin has a nice paper on it.

Don't know how easy they would be to set up but.........
Cutting bulls, tailing, proper injections, tieing up legs, useing a nose lead to tie a head, ropeing and tying off, Trailer loading,
IV injections, Throwing one down, Holding one down.
How to dodge an attack. How to read when an attack is coming.
Learning to read different attitudes and how to adapt handling to fit.

Seems like it would be good to apprentice out to a stocker opperation- when they were working up a load. Instead of trying to set it up as a group class.

our go volunteer your help at a sale barn they like all the cheap help they can get. when i was younger i helped a vet at a sale barn a few times it can be a great experiance, learning head catch timing , how to watch a cow and -TRY- to antisapate her moves palpate, vaccinate, now the hogs were another story hate them sum bitches ;-)

Might sound silly but see if you can get a trip to a quality rodeo. You will see large and mean , and learn safety!

Ride with a mobile hoof trimming unit for a day or 2.

Great thought provoking post, may get back with more. I did note you said unusual, that makes it tougher. :lol:

Could you and your fellow students take a course on how to come out to our ranch and get the job done that is needed. Without taking an arm and a leg with you when you leave?

In other words a course on how to keep the cost of a vet visit to a reasonable amount.

All amazing suggestions :) Thanks guys!!!

Some, are not so feasible, however. Ha ha ha.

I am in Prince Edward Island in Canada... lol... not too many quality rodeos around here :) lol. Although, the PBR is making an appearance in October, I will have to try to get down...

I am hoping to get a job on a dairy or beef farm this summer, to get even more experience... (anyone in need of a vet student farm hand this summer.... hahaha!)

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!!! Keep em' coming!!

A very appreciative newbie TCFC!!

There were some good suggestions in this thread for you. I might also suggest Entomology if you were located closer to the south. Parasites are a real problem here. It affects the pocket book. It seems parasite resistance to treatments build each year. Not sure about things up there where you are.

If your school has a judging team, a little training on what to look for wouldn't hurt.

Very good question--- Lots of things we "just know" and think everyoneknows-- Watch your back,Kid the year ahead of me in Waco TSTI was killed by a bull on his 1st day on the job--had all the book learning,but no "hands on"

Latest posts