Used Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Just wondering,
When you look to buy used equipment at what point do you stop looking used and just buy new. I have been looking for a good used six foot disc, and scraper blade for my three point hitch. They must be heavy duty. I will only buy an American made product. There are many different brands at different prices. $ 895. and higher. I found a blade on craigs list for $350. I think that is steep for used, considering it is 350 miles round trip to get it. The lady also has a six foot three point disc, they are expensive new. She did not give me a price for it, just said it had only been used two times and was thrown in the deal when she bought her Tractor. I figure New is new and used is used. I feel like whatever she has to sell should not cost more that sixty percent of new. What do you think.
~Tom.

Maybe I misunderstood the post, but $350 for an $895 implement is less than half price. If it's just as usable as the shiny new one, you got nothing to complain about. The location was just bad luck, keep looking. Maybe hit a few auctions.

MO_Cows,
I guess I failed to express my thoughts clearly. The lady has a used scraper blade for sale for $350.00. I priced blades on the internet from $249.95 to $895.00. She e-mailed some photos and the blade did not appear to be heavy duty. So my question would be.."How much would you discount the price of used from new" even if it was not damaged, just used. Is there a rule of thumb as neither of us know what the blade sold for as new.
~Tom.

kerley":3s8mq6oa said:
MO_Cows,
I guess I failed to express my thoughts clearly. The lady has a used scraper blade for sale for $350.00. I priced blades on the internet from $249.95 to $895.00. She e-mailed some photos and the blade did not appear to be heavy duty. So my question would be.."How much would you discount the price of used from new" even if it was not damaged, just used. Is there a rule of thumb as neither of us know what the blade sold for as new.
~Tom.
If you know what brand it is, you can price the closest model they make now at a local dealership, see what a new one like it would cost.

If I thought the blade would do the work just as well as a new one, and if it still looked pretty good, I would expect to pay up to 75% of the "new" price for it. I would like to get it for less, say 60% of new, but some items are really useful and just hold their value. Like generators in an ice storm, ya know? If I wasn't confident that the thing would do the work and/or it was really beat up looking, I likely wouldn't buy it at all. But if I HAD to have it, I wouldn't give more than 25-30% of the price of the new one to take a chance on it.

How much does it weigh? Worst case scenario it's still worth something as scrap metal.

My approach is:
1) price new
2) deals are about 30% of new price
3) avoid buy junk where the repairs cost more than the used purchase price
4) buy two if you feel lucky and want some spare parts just in case ;-)

It's a blade I'd think you could tell if it was in good shape or not.

EAT BEEF":2s5ku5x9 said:
It's a blade I'd think you could tell if it was in good shape or not.
The lady claims that the grader and blade are guaranteed for life and manufactured by Dale Phillips Mfg. of Alabama. I googled Dale Phillips and found his web sight. He has apparently sold to another company and now builds trailers. His products carry a twelve month warranty. I think I will pass on this great deal as I really don't care to drive three hundred miles when I can buy new for the same money she wants for used. Someone has to sell them locally with a warranty.
Thanks all
~Tom.

Latest posts