Update On Heifer Concern

Help Support CattleToday:

Kate

Reaction score
Purchased "O No More" and put on calf last night. Heifer seemed more attentative to the calf this morning but still will not let her nurse. Storms coming in tonight and they are in a muddy pen so let them out with the other cattle in a 20 acre lot. Will continue to bottle feed the calf twice a day. No problem, the calf will come to me. The calf is a week old today.

Put calf and heifer out into lot with other cattle Thursday. Heifer is taking a liking to the calf. Still kicks some when calf is trying to nurse, still taking it a bottle twice a day till I'm sure she is nursing mother all the time. :banana:

Kate":28w27nlt said:
Put calf and heifer out into lot with other cattle Thursday. Heifer is taking a liking to the calf. Still kicks some when calf is trying to nurse, still taking it a bottle twice a day till I'm sure she is nursing mother all the time. :banana:

Kate, I wouldn't bottle feed the calf too much. You want it to be hungry enough to be persistent with it's mom. Sounds as if mom is caving in a little. Good luck!

I agree with both of you. The calf sucks the bottle then runs to her mother and sucks from behind. I try to be a little late in the afternoons and in the mornings so the calf will nurse her mother instead of the bottle and she has nursed before I get there, nose and face wet. Looks as if sucking 2 back dinners but cannot reach the front ones yet from behind. The calf is doing great! :banana:

Kate":k0j8lg49 said:
I agree with both of you. The calf sucks the bottle then runs to her mother and sucks from behind. I try to be a little late in the afternoons and in the mornings so the calf will nurse her mother instead of the bottle and she has nursed before I get there, nose and face wet. Looks as if sucking 2 back dinners but cannot reach the front ones yet from behind. The calf is doing great! :banana:

Good Job!

Everybody happy today! Heifer, calf and me! Only feeding 1/2 bottle twice a day now. Will quit this week-end. Calf is nursing from behind and mother is letting it. O happy day after 2 weeks! :banana:

Latest posts