Update from Hill County, TX

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd 02

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, it seems I have royally screwed up.

We moved cattle from drought stricken West Texas to the lush pastures of Hill County last weekend. A quick check of the cattle on Monday night proved they were super happy grazing in their new home.

As often happens, life gets in the way and I didn't make it back out until first thing Saturday morning. The head count turned up about 5 short, so we immediately began searching. We found one of my favorites mommas dead and are still missing a calf.

The majority of them seem to be doing fine, but are very sluggish. Several of the older cows are wheezing and their usually loud bawling is almost muted. I have three yearling heifers and a yearling bull calf that are all stoved up in the back end and are laboring to walk. All of them are still eating, drinking, and consuming mineral.

Finding a large animal vet who does more than equine is more difficult than I expected. We have a call into one to come out and check them. We spent several hours yesterday on the phone with the vet but just aren't sure what to do until we can get him out to study them. From our conversations, it could be shipping fever, pneumonia, emphysema, nitrate poisoning, grass tetany, mineral deficiency, or even poison in the pasture. He recommends getting them off the pasture, but it's leased ground and I don't have anywhere else to go. He also recommended not moving them as additional stress could be fatal.

Until I'm able to meet with the vet, do any of you old timers on here have any home remedies? Does any of this sound familiar? As I said in my original post on the subject, I'm brand new to this. I thought I was making things better for them by moving them to more suitable pastures, but it turns out I screwed up by not conditioning them prior to releasing them on the new lush pasture. I'm getting some different mineral this afternoon to give to them.

I just hope I didn't give a death sentence to all of them. Maybe I'm not cut out for this line of work...

Todd....call Alvarado Veterinary Clinic right up the road from you and ask for Bud...ph: 817.783.2257
Great Vet.. High humidity and high temps is probably one of your problems. The Johnson Grass could be another.

By the way Todd...don't beat yourself up. Things like can and do happen everyday to even the "big boys". Hang tuff my man. ;-)

Thanks Texas Bred. That's who we called. I am awaiting a call from one of their vets (don't know if it will be Bud or not) to schedule a time to come out and check the herd ASAP.

I feel for you.....

Can you call Texas A&M for help? You can ask for J. W. Holloway (Stanley), P. E. Strydom, or R.K. Miller. Holloway is in Uvalde and the other two are in College Station. I had Holloway's cell number; but I cannot seem to find it. I will try to find it and send it to you in a PM.

Sorry to hear about your problem, I was a little worried when I saw you going on that lush pasture...but dang it.... I thought you had enough to worry about, and really it sounded as if you had no other choice, but to move to cattle there.

So if I can't load 'em up and haul 'em, would it be worth my effort to fence off an area, shred all the grass within that area, and put 'em on hay?

Johnson grass would still pose a problem if that is your problem be the same as feeding them bad hay for a while.
Lot of the grasses are really stressed from the drought this year. Grasses are going to seed that shouldn't till later this fall. What all is in your pasture buttercup's, dallisgrass, johnson grass, could be viral need a vet bad. I haven't been in Hill county in a couple of year's, I can't remember all the bad stuff ya'll have. TB, Vette and Boogie would be worth a pm. Good guys that are more in your enviroment.

your in a real tough spot.im betting that they have grass tetny caused from the johnson grass.if it gets a rain on it it can an will kill the cattle fast.we dryed a cow up an turned her out of the barn,an she ate some johnson grass in the ditch on the way to the dry pasture.an dropped deader than a hammer in 2hrs.

Don't know what the official numbers are but in general that area is not extremely dry. Seems Johnson Co. gets rain when noone else can. haven't been thru there in a month but last time thru the corn and grass looked pretty good...and the Johnson Grass in those pics looked to be chest high. Don't know what the end result will be but still thing you may have some pneumonia or other respiratory problems with teh change from a warm extremely dry atmosphere to a warm, heavy high humidity atmosphere. You might even have some bloat.

Met with a vet this evening and the early diagnosis is laminitis in the yearlings and acute interstitial pneumonia in some of the cows. They are malnourished and have lice pretty bad. He's going to consult with a couple of the other vets in the clinic and they'll make a recommendation tomorrow. I'll either be able to relocate them to another pasture or will need to isolate them in a temporary pen at this location and feed hay. Maybe, just maybe, I haven't killed 'em all yet.

Todd 02":117l0121 said:
Met with a vet this evening and the early diagnosis is laminitis in the yearlings and acute interstitial pneumonia in some of the cows. They are malnourished and have lice pretty bad. He's going to consult with a couple of the other vets in the clinic and they'll make a recommendation tomorrow. I'll either be able to relocate them to another pasture or will need to isolate them in a temporary pen at this location and feed hay. Maybe, just maybe, I haven't killed 'em all yet.

I aint no vet but lamititis (founder) is usually caused by grain overload. Had you been graining these cattle extra heavy.
Ergot has a lot of the same symtoms could be caused by stressed grasses going to seed early.

Sounds like hungry cows turned on pasture and probably not being selective as to what they ate. Like Caustic said about stressed pastures, I'd bet the vast majority of pasture in 5 states are stressed and now full of potential problems. As to what it could be I don't know, but I'd following the hay feeding suggestion till something can be figured out.

Did the vet autopsy the a dead one?

I don't know anything about your grass so cannot comment. BUT you have my complete empathy as a fellow rancher and I hope that you can get your gals and babes healthy and safe soon. Like TB said, chin up and hopefully a vet or someone else with expertise can advise you soon. Sorry for you loss Todd. :(

The Johnson grass could be a problem if it had been it had been drought stressed and then rained on. This can cause cyanide poisoning. Nitrate poisoning from Johnson grass could also be a problem if the new field had a high soil nitrogen content. Either of these can kill a cow in a day. Shredding will not help your situation immediately if this is a Johnson grass (or other sorghum) problem as the poisons have to be given 30-60 days to to dissipate out depending on the poison concentration. If you take a sample directly to A&M they might test it for you immediately given your emergency situation.

It could be grass tetany also in which case shredding would help.

I would hay the field and immediately and move the bales off the field for future sale. Then buy and get them on a known type and quality of hay.

Sounds like with the pasture problems this poor fellow is having. The best thing is bring them up hay and grain them a couple of weeks and head for the sale barn. Sometimes it is just better to fold your hand and get dealt another when times improve.
Prices are good right now bury the money in a mason jar and buy more better cows later.

Latest posts