Update 1. 5/17/21

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Gave steer his first ration of cracked corn (5 lbs). Talked with farmer who said if he had any corn i could get it for $ 6.70 a bushel. Had to pay $ 10 for 50lb bag of cracked corn. Whole kernel was $ 18.65.

I know paying even $ 10 a bag that I am not going to make money off this steer. I am doing this one because i want to learn how to finish a beef. So i am being out the extra exspense with intentions of knowing how to finish this coming fall.

I have a 6 ton grain Ben that I can store whole kernel corn for around $ 6.75 a bushel this fall. I will have a dozen calfs that were born in February and calfs still being born. So i should have more calfs to finish at about the right age and be a little more knowledgeable about what I am doing. I am going to start feeding a flake of hay along with the calfs ration each day. Has plenty of grass but was told that green grass tends to go right through the calfs digestive system.

If you don't balance the calfs rufoge diet to keep its digestive system working right it could kill it by putting it on a diet of grain only. Read that increasing the grain to fast sometimes kills calfs at feed lots.

Said I would update this as i am learning how to do this so that others that might be interested in trying to learn how to do this.

And hopefully all of you that already know how will till what I am doing wrong or right. Need all the advice I can get.

Storing corn long term in a bin requires ventilation, corn will spoil in a feed bin if left too long. There are variables, moisture content, temperature and weather conditions all are factors but I wouldn't try to store more than a couple months worth of corn in a feed bin. Other than that, sounds like you're on the right track.

That was my first thought too, that doesn't make sense at all. Cracked is always a little more, but not significantly more. Whole corn is currently around $8/bag at places like Rural King and TSC, should be a little cheaper at the local mill.

Why is cracked corn more expensive than WSC? That makes no sense.
I don't know either ? I called them and priced the corn before i went to get it and that's what they qouted me.

Thought they might be mistaken but when i went to pick it up that was what they charged ?

My guess is old inventory purchased before prices went nuts and they want to get it moved out.

18.65 for 50 lb bag = 20.65 bushel
No the cracked corn was new inventory and looked real good. They told me they had changed suppliers getting it from Oklahoma. Very clean i couldn't tell it had any dust in it. But I think I can find it cheaper at another feed I know of. I just picked that up because i didn't have time to price chop and needed to get started feeding that steer.

Storing corn long term in a bin requires ventilation, corn will spoil in a feed bin if left too long. There are variables, moisture content, temperature and weather conditions all are factors but I wouldn't try to store more than a couple months worth of corn in a feed bin. Other than that, sounds like you're on the right track.
Your right I might not be able to store that much at a time. SBMF 2015 gave me to ideas on how i might be able to lower the monster content of the corn before storing that much that I will explain later and also I have a friend that is a row crop farmer. He is who I am going to buy the corn off of. I have seen him storing grain that I can't remember what type of grain in big huge bens. I guess maybe to sit on until market prices got to where they needed to be before he sold ? I plan on asking his advice on storing corn too.

Sorry if I missed it, but did you get a processing date? Also, don't ramp up that corn intake too fast.
Yes September 7 was the only thing I could get. Every place else was booked up into late next year.

"Had to pay $ 10 for 50lb bag of cracked corn. Whole kernel was $ 18.65."
Was WSC $18.65 per hundred weight?
They said it was $ 18.65 per 50 lb bag. That doesn't make since I know. I haven't got to compare prices in my area yet and had some business to take care of where i bought the cracked corn.

I had only intended to buy one bag of whole kernel corn when i stopped at that co-op to start feeding that same day until I could look for a better price at other stores. I had already called them and knew it was $ 18.65 a bag at their store. So i just out curiosity thought to ask how much was their cracked corn thinking it was going to be more than $ 18.65 per 50 lb bag. So when they said $ 10. I decided to get 5 bags to give me more time to look for a better price.

Checked corn prices at another feed store today. $ 10.75 ESC and $ 10.90 for cracked corn ?

Told the store clerk that wasn't as much difference in price as i thought there would be. Said i figured cracked corn would be alot more than whole corn. Clerk said alot of businesses do price cracked corn much higher than whole corn but he wasn't that way and wasn't going to do that to his customers ???

I think they have to run the shell corn thru a mill or rollers to get cracked corn. WSC comes right out of the combine. You're paying more for the added processing.
Sorry, I got that backward, he is paying more for WSC than cracked that was what I intended to say. I would expect cracked to be more expensive because of the added processing.