Up and coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here is one of our young females that we think could have a tremendous impact on our herd, and the longhorn industry.

SD Sweet Thing
D.O.B. 2/22/2004

Her first calf was this years World Reserve Junior Champion Female. She has a real nice bull calf at side right now. And she comes from a great family.

SDSweetThing-01.jpg

What do ya'll think?

Ryan

That pic was taken about 3 or so months ago. She had her calf on December 1.

I guess it would only be right of me to tell ya'll a little more about her: She got bred, had her first calf, no problems. Well, when she came back into heat after having the calf, another first calf heifer was coming in at the same time. The bull was "servicing" the above female to the dismay of the other female coming in heat, and the other female tried to get in on the "action" and sent all three of them toppling to the ground. The bull and the other heifer popped up just fine. The above female...not so much. she injured her hip somehow in the fall, and limped something terrible. The vet was unsure if she'd ever get rid of the limp or ever be able to be naturally serviced again. She ended up getting over the limp, though it took awhile, and she got bred naturally. So instead of having her second calf back in the spring, she got delayed to December 1. Made me sick to see her get hurt like that. But thankfully she has returned from the injury, and eventhough he is only 3 weeks old, her calf has that look about him that he could be something special... especially if he is like his sister, or genetic full sibs that we have.

Ryan

Angus/Brangus":2rg7k0qc said:
"Champion Haltered Female" - I would have been concerned too! I'm glad she's alright now. Was the other heifer Tawnie or Lizzie?

No those two would have been too young. I honestly don't remember who the other one was. I want to say we've since sold the other female.

Ryan

*Sidenote: I notice you are from Wharton. I was down there the weekend of the 8th for a show. It was a great show. Thought I was lost going to the facilities, being that it is off the path a little ways, but a nice facility. Plus the weather was amazing, 83 and sunny... it was 31 and wet when i got home that sunday night.

Angus/Brangus":9slc7scq said:
Where was the show located? Longhorn show? Not aware of too many of them down in the Wharton area. Morris Ranch, by chance?

Yeah, it was a Longhorn show. It was at the Wharton County Youth Fairgrounds, in Glen Flora. It was the first one thats been held down there. Turned out extremely well. One of the best shows of the year so far.

That's a very good looking animal. I'm not a longhorn fan (not against them either), but it would be hard not to appreciate her.

EC

Ryan, I always love looking at your animals...they are simply beautiful. AND, some pics of babies are always welcome... :)

Alice

Let me knock those horns off and run with my black bull. :p That's a seriously good looking cow. :)

Ryan, I always "cringe" when I see a longhorn posted, BUT, your cattle are always a pleasure to view. Great female. You have absolutely the best LH's I have ever seen.
You were sooo lucky you only lost 1/2 year on her production.
Thanks for posting such a great pic.

Angus/Brangus":309rq9wq said:
I'm glad the show went well. Those fairgrounds are tucked out of the way aren't they?

Yes they are. I was actually in the process of getting my phone out to call and make sure I was going the right direction when I came up on them. They are out there, but it was worth the drive.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and compliments. I agree, Jeanne, we were very fortunate to only have her half a year behind schedule. We discussed that if it had been much worse of an injury, or if she hadn't recovered, we probably would have put her into ET as a donor. May very well end up doing that anyways.

Ryan

Latest posts