Unwanted Horse Coalition
Julia Andersen, 202-296-4031
Director
[email protected]
or
Stephens & Associates
Cathy McCormick, 913-661-0910, Ext. 115
[email protected]

A Call for Help: Your Input is Needed in a Nationwide Survey on the Problem of Unwanted Horses

Monday November 17, 2008, 10:00 am EST
WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The problem of unwanted horses is being studied through a nationwide initiative of the Unwanted Horse Coalition (UHC) with help from equine associations, veterinarians, breeders, state and local law enforcement, horse owners, rescue/retirement facilities, and other facilities using horses. The first step is an online survey — and everyone with an interest in the welfare of horses is encouraged to respond at http://survey.ictgroup.com/uhcsurvey/.

With tens of thousands of unwanted, neglected and abandoned horses in the United States, some say the problem is a fast-growing epidemic. However, much remains unknown. Currently, there are few documented facts about the accurate number of unwanted horses, their age, sex, breed, recent use, value or what happens to them in the long run.

"Although there are numerous media reports and much anecdotal evidence of a growing problem with unwanted horses, there have been no studies or surveys done to attempt to document it," said Jay Hickey, president of the American Horse Council (AHC), the national association that represents all segments of the horse industry in Washington, D.C. The UHC operates with the AHC. "The downturn in the economy, rising costs of hay, the drought that has affected many parts of the United States, the costs of euthanasia and carcass disposal, and the closing of the nation's slaughter facilities have all made the problem worse. But no one knows its magnitude. That's why the first step toward a solution is to gather and examine the facts. The goal of this survey is to get the input, observations, opinions and suggestions from anyone and everyone involved with horses."

The Study on Contributing Factors Surrounding the Unwanted Horse Issue will be instrumental in filling factual gaps with actual data on:

-- Awareness of the unwanted horse problem and perceived trends in recent years
-- Level of concern
-- Factors contributing to the problem
-- Direct and in-direct experience with the issue
-- Actions taken by owners
-- Expectations about responsibility and assistance
-- Solutions
Phase I of the study is an online survey of people most affected by and involved with the issue of the unwanted horse. An independent research firm developed the questionnaire and is hosting the online survey site at http://survey.ictgroup.com/uhcsurvey/. The firm will also tabulate and analyze responses, and provide a full report.

A comprehensive view of the problem depends on representation from all corners of the horse industry, according to Dr. Tom Lenz, chairman of the UHC. "To ensure the broadest possible participation, we're working to involve a variety of individuals, associations, state and local agencies, and equine-related companies to actively encourage their constituencies to take the survey and voice their opinions."

The American Association of Equine Practitioners defines the term "unwanted horse" as, "Horses which are no longer wanted by their current owner because they are old, injured, sick, unmanageable, fail to meet their owner's expectations, or the owner can no longer afford or is incapable of caring for them." This definition, according to Lenz, is a starting point to discover what's causing the problem and what can be done to correct it.

"Regardless of how horses reached this state, every owner—and the equine industry at large—has a responsibility to ensure that everything possible is done to guarantee the humane care and treatment of unwanted horses," Lenz said. "Our message now is to please go to http://survey.ictgroup.com/uhcsurvey/, and provide us with feedback. Answers will be confidential. More important, this feedback will be invaluable in developing a strategy to solve the problem."

The American Horse Council (AHC)

Founded in 1969, the American Horse Council was organized to represent the horse industry before Congress and the federal regulatory agencies. The AHC promotes and protects all horse breeds, disciplines and interests by communicating with Congress, federal agencies, the media and the equine industry. The AHC is member supported by approximately 160 organizations and 1,200 individuals representing every facet of the horse world, from owners, breeders, trainers, veterinarians, farriers, breed registries and associations to horse shows, racetracks, rodeos, commercial suppliers and state horse councils.

The Unwanted Horse Coalition (UHC)

The mission of the Unwanted Horse Coalition is to reduce the number of unwanted horses and improve their welfare through education and the efforts of organizations committed to the health, safety and responsible care and disposition of these horses. The UHC grew out of the Unwanted Horse Summit, which was organized by the American Association of Equine Practitioners and held in conjunction with the American Horse Council's annual meeting in Washington, D.C., in April 2005. The summit was held to bring key stakeholders together to start a dialogue on the unwanted horse in America. Its purpose was to develop consensus on the most effective way to work together to address the issue. In June 2006, the UHC was folded into the AHC and now operates under its auspices.

Unwanted Horse Coalition
Julia Andersen, 202-296-4031
Director
[email protected]
or
Stephens & Associates
Cathy McCormick, 913-661-0910, Ext. 115
[email protected]

Don't need a study or spend a huge amount of taxpayer money to find a solution.

REOPEN THE SLAUGHTER HOUSES!

That frigging survey is a joke - no matter how you try to answer it leads to lefty, soft pedalling, "poor pony" syndrome.

Kill 'em, gut 'em, skin 'em, debone 'em and ship them.

Employ people on this side of the ocean and feed people on the other side.

1982 Vet is bang on

Bez+

V_Key":3nfap64t said:
The summit was held to bring key stakeholders together to start a dialogue on the unwanted horse in America.

Ooooohhh they started a dialogue!

Re-open the slaughterhouses. Dialog started, dialog ended.

I wrote an article on pro-slaughter a couple of summers ago for an online horse magazine and holy cow was I berated and crucified! I can't believe what some people will believe. PETA and the HSUS really pulled a fast one on the country and I just shake my head because the average John Q. Public doesn't have any clue besides what is fed to them. Horses are livestock and not pets like they are protrayed by PETA and HSUS. If they got horse slaughter plants shut down because of how they were slaughtered or euthanized, then they can shut down cattle and hog plants because they are euthanized the same way. Re-open the slaughter houses and save the horse industry!

OK, I gotta throw a towel on PETA! I ate horse meat growing up. I LOVE horses my whole life. I eat meat. I don't eat my friends though and I have 3 horses eating their darn heads off right now. They EAT and EAT and EAT! Unlike the cattle! I love them though and they can do so at their leisure because I would never send them to slaughter unless it was their last recourse. But i would send them to slaughter if there was no way I could look after them! I love horses but I love all animals and I really hate to see any of them suffer for any reason. Would be cool though to see horses running around town like the cattle do in India!

Good for you Onthebit. You love your horses and care for them just like any responsible horse owner should. How about the horses that people can not afford to feed. Some people just turn them loose to forage for themselves. Have you visited these horses that have been rounded up by our government and held in pens and fed with taxpayers dollars. I think it is about time that our government starts being run like a business instead of a give away program. If our government rounded up every unwanted horse and slaughtered then sold every pound of horse meat to foreign countries at top dollar we could not begin to recover the dollars lost over the last twenty years of poor management. I also love my two horses and will continue to care for them. They are just like me. They always earned their keep and now they are retired. I am not attacking you, JMO
Tom.

kerley":3k720gvv said:
Good for you Onthebit. You love your horses and care for them just like any responsible horse owner should. How about the horses that people can not afford to feed. Some people just turn them loose to forage for themselves. Have you visited these horses that have been rounded up by our government and held in pens and fed with taxpayers dollars. I think it is about time that our government starts being run like a business instead of a give away program. If our government rounded up every unwanted horse and slaughtered then sold every pound of horse meat to foreign countries at top dollar we could not begin to recover the dollars lost over the last twenty years of poor management. I also love my two horses and will continue to care for them. They are just like me. They always earned their keep and now they are retired. I am not attacking you, JMO
Tom.

I don't get the gist of your post. Do you agree or disagree with horse slaughter? I agree with it. I think there were a lot less starving mis cared for horses around when there was horse slaughter. If someone can't afford to feed for their horse they probably can't afford euthanasia either.

Onthebit":2c9eofik said:
kerley":2c9eofik said:
I don't get the gist of your post. Do you agree or disagree with horse slaughter? I agree with it. I think there were a lot less starving mis cared for horses around when there was horse slaughter. If someone can't afford to feed for their horse they probably can't afford euthanasia either.
I agree with you about horse slaughter. Thats why I made it clear that I was not attacking you. I remember when bands of wild horses ran free all over the western U. S. I am all for culling the herds. I think it is sinful to round them up, supply all their needs only to let them die of old age in captivity at taxpayers expense. There has to be someone that is hungry and would appreciate the meat. JMO, Tom.

Ok, THOSE horses were better off living off the land and letting 'nature' take care of the numbers. My horses on the other hand wouldn't live off the land. They would hang around and die of starvation if they were not fed. They are bred that way. 3 ex standardbred racehorses. Copernicus has gotten out of the field before and waltzed up to the house to look in the windows to see if I would help him get back in. haha

Onthebit":hjmshmqm said:
Ok, THOSE horses were better off living off the land and letting 'nature' take care of the numbers. My horses on the other hand wouldn't live off the land. They would hang around and die of starvation if they were not fed. They are bred that way. 3 ex standardbred racehorses. Copernicus has gotten out of the field before and waltzed up to the house to look in the windows to see if I would help him get back in. haha
We are talking about different type horses. My youngest daughter use to three day event on her Thoroughbred mare. I was very happy when she sold it. She did keep her Quarter horse mare now twenty-six years old and retired. We prefer well bred Quarter horses for hunting, ranch work and pleasure riding. Our horses have to earn their keep until they have earned their retirement. Tom

kerley":epwdwg9a said:
Onthebit":epwdwg9a said:
We are talking about different type horses. My youngest daughter use to three day event on her Thoroughbred mare. I was very happy when she sold it. She did keep her Quarter horse mare now twenty-six years old and retired. We prefer well bred Quarter horses for hunting, ranch work and pleasure riding. Our horses have to earn their keep until they have earned their retirement. Tom

Tom; Copernicus dragged a driver around for a few mins....He has been carrying me for 4 yrs now...He knows when we are 'playing' and when we are "working".

I got looking at your post and i dont think you want to slam my breed........so I extend a hand to your breed and to you....we are the responsible few...fact is I wont go to the sales barns any more 'cause I have no room

Latest posts