unusual pet...can you guess what he is?

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I have had this guy since 1988 (so he is older than some of our members). He is a very easy keeper. I keep him in a rabbit hutch outdoors during the warm months, and during the cold months, I put him in a pillowcase in a drawer, in the house. He doesn't eat from September till April. Although I do check him once every week or so, and give him some water. Tonight's our first freeze, so into the dark he goes....Our Aussie members might know what he is! (I already know he's a lizard!)
SSL13480.jpg

Here's a clue:

SSL13477.jpg

Ding, ding ding! You are right! Terligua scincoides intermedia. Northern blue tongue skink. For that correct answer, I will award you my first born. (She's 33 years old and might not go along.)

fourstates":34x31mmd said:
Ding, ding ding! You are right! Terligua scincoides intermedia. Northern blue tongue skink. For that correct answer, I will award you my first born. (She's 33 years old and might not go along.)
:D

Wow ,can't say awe so very cute but definitely unique..

Thanks for the pics, does the little guy get lonely when locked up or is he out for the count?

Would love to have his schedule as the weather turns colder.. :)

AB you are just quick I would never have gotten that. ;-)

He doesn't hibernate, like a "coma". He is in a cool down state, if its too warm, his metabolism speeds up and he needs to eat. Some years I can tell the weather will get cold soon because he refuses food. I pull him out and offer him water, as a way to assess whether its time to take him out of "cool down" based on his condition. Water won't hurt, and if he needs some he will take it. As he gets older I worry he doesnt keep the store of body fat he need to make it so long with out food and water. Eventually I will have to feed him yearround and keep him warm. I have no idea how long he will live, since captivity conditions are so different than in the wild, but I am hoping he makes it to his thirties.

He eats hard boiled eggs, canned dog food, fruit, grasshoppers and the occasional pink mouse.

Bugger I didnt see this till now. I so could have beat you to that first born, ILABB!

Nice looking blue tongue.

I dont think I've ever heard anyone call one a 'Northern Blue Tongue Skink' lol we just call em blue tongue lizards. Most everyone around here has a couple in the garden. They dont get pampered like your boy does though!

Latest posts