unknown cause of deaths

Help Support CattleToday:

Keith Cyrus

Reaction score
hi ..I am new and i hope i can get some hlp.
I just moved my calves to a new living covered area and they are looking good at one time and withing 24 hrs they are dying.

I am wondering whether this can be some type of food poisiining as they are eating a lot more and a lot better in ther new home

Without more information it is impossible to even hazard a guess. How old are they? What are their symptoms? Are they scouring? If so what color and consistency is the diarrhea. Coughing? Running a temp? What are you feeding them, how much, and how often? Have you talked to your vet? Anytime more than one animal dies with the same symptoms and you don't know the cause a vet needs to be consulted to prevent any more losses. Just my thoughts.

keith cyrus":87auoy4o said:
I just moved my calves to a new living covered area and they are looking good at one time and withing 24 hrs they are dying.

I am wondering whether this can be some type of food poisiining as they are eating a lot more and a lot better in ther new home

why not try a new hobby keith? :|

buckaroo_bif":1fm7bc1x said:
keith cyrus":1fm7bc1x said:

maybe you should stick to your day job, as being a comedian will not pay your bills

msscamp":13y6674v said:
Without more information it is impossible to even hazard a guess. How old are they? What are their symptoms? Are they scouring? If so what color and consistency is the diarrhea. Coughing? Running a temp? What are you feeding them, how much, and how often? Have you talked to your vet? Anytime more than one animal dies with the same symptoms and you don't know the cause a vet needs to be consulted to prevent any more losses. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts. I did talk to the vet , but he too was a bit baffled as the only thing i was doing differently with them in their new home was feeding them more. He indicated that maybe something in my total mix ration produced the reaction. Tests etc are now being done and I have gone to simple grass and calf concentrate until we are able to isolate.
There is no scouring , no diahorrea , some shortness of breath and general inabilty to stand up .

The age varies between 6-9 months, but things seem to have settled.

keith cyrus":3o7jqbfz said:
buckaroo_bif":3o7jqbfz said:
keith cyrus":3o7jqbfz said:

maybe you should stick to your day job, as being a comedian will not pay your bills

who's trying to be funny i'm serious you newbies think raising cows and calves is all fun and games. you are in for a rude awakening. problem is it is the cows and calves that suffer when you don't know jack from apple butter about what you are doing!

keith cyrus":2llqyfiy said:
msscamp":2llqyfiy said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I did talk to the vet , but he too was a bit baffled as the only thing i was doing differently with them in their new home was feeding them more. He indicated that maybe something in my total mix ration produced the reaction. Tests etc are now being done and I have gone to simple grass and calf concentrate until we are able to isolate.
There is no scouring , no diahorrea , some shortness of breath and general inabilty to stand up .

The age varies between 6-9 months, but things seem to have settled.

You're welcome. I hope the vet has some answers for you after the test results come back. Good luck with your calves. :)

You said you moved them to a new covered facility, do they get sunshine?

There could be a virus or bacteria living in the new area in the soil, wood, or whatever type of area this is, how old are these calves?

Have you had any of the dead calves autopsied? The move might be coincidental, might not be.
Also, cattle/calves need their feed intake amount adjusted slowly. The same holds true with new feeds. Introduce new feeds by adding to the old in increasing amounts.
Have the calves been vaccinated?
With so many possibilities a vet with lab tests is really the only answer.

buckaroo_bif":pq0kfe4c said:
keith cyrus":pq0kfe4c said:
buckaroo_bif":pq0kfe4c said:
keith cyrus":pq0kfe4c said:

who's trying to be funny i'm serious you newbies think raising cows and calves is all fun and games. you are in for a rude awakening. problem is it is the cows and calves that suffer when you don't know jack from apple butter about what you are doing!
Just curious, but if all he did was move them from point A to point B, what has knowing jack got to do with it?

Have you checked for any possible poisons spilled in the new accomodation? What was the covered area used for in the past, there could be something easily overlooked spilled or sprayed in the building.
All I can suggest at the moment, hope all works out for you,
Regards Andy.

You say they are eating a lot more? How much and how fast did you bump up their rations. Are the calves bloating?

bloating would be my first guess. other things to rule out would be blackleg, leadpoisoning, antifreeze, anthrax, etc. without more detail cant really help. although the shortness of breath and inability to get up make me lean toward bloating.

Beefy":z1rg3ysn said:
bloating would be my first guess. other things to rule out would be blackleg, leadpoisoning, antifreeze, anthrax, etc. without more detail cant really help. although the shortness of breath and inability to get up make me lean toward bloating.
AGreed - sudden change in intake of feed can be a sure killer.

buckaroo_bif":3luytlef said:
keith cyrus":3luytlef said:
buckaroo_bif":3luytlef said:
keith cyrus":3luytlef said:

I am now replying to your offensive repy.
Who told you I was new? Obviously it is you who have a problem and its with the English language.
I never said I was playing a game. You will be pleased to know , that i, the vet and my workers fixed the problems and the 22 calves left from that batch are all healthy and doing well,

thanks for your advise , but I will have to decline. Cheers

[/quote]

who's trying to be funny i'm serious you newbies think raising cows and calves is all fun and games. you are in for a rude awakening. problem is it is the cows and calves that suffer when you don't know jack from apple butter about what you are doing![/quote]

Very well said!

Norris

keith cyrus":25x0pu33 said:
buckaroo_bif":25x0pu33 said:
buckaroo_bif":25x0pu33 said:

I am now replying to your offensive repy.
Who told you I was new? Obviously it is you who have a problem and its with the English language.
I never said I was playing a game. You will be pleased to know , that i, the vet and my workers fixed the problems and the 22 calves left from that batch are all healthy and doing well,

thanks for your advise , but I will have to decline. Cheers
Not trying to stir things up keith but your first 4 words were hi ..I am new. I took it to mean you were new to cattle also. If you ment you were new to the board then you should have said that instead of just leaving it at I am new. Glad you got your problem fixed anyway. An update on what was the cause?

Thanks and I will leave it there.
The problem was the acidity ratio in the feed. As they were eating more, their little stomachs reacted to the increase amount of chemicals which were in the total mix ration..Ican't remember the exact name of the toxin, but I can look it up later, so it was a form of 'food poisining'.

However, the more sturdier calves did not hvae the same reaction as after the three calves died , we just started to feed grass. The vet said this was a good thing and probably changed the others lives.

It was a frightening experience as i said these calves just literally rolled up and died.

thanks for every ones concern. :) :)

Latest posts