Understanding Fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
Am I understanding fertilizer numbers correctly? 46-0-0 = 46% N- 0% P- 0% K or 46 lbs/hundred N - 0 lbs/hundred P - 0 lbs/hundred K. Soil sample recommends 100 lbs of nitrogen per acre for grazing pasture and 300 lbs of nitrogen per acre for hay production. So if I decide to graze I need to apply just over 200 lbs/acre of 46-0-0 to get 100 lbs/acre of nitrogen, or if I hay I need just over 650 lbs/acre. Is this anually or after every cutting? At $540 ton for 46-0-0 this gets expensive in a hurry.

Its always best to split the application over the season (when dealing with N & K) no matter if its grazing or hay. Your soil test is giving you an annual requirement. A good rule of thumb to go by for grazing is that each pound of N will give you one day of grazing. So with a 100 lbs, you can put out 50 lbs first then in a little over a month you can put out the other 50. Doing it this way will also save you money as you might find you have all the grass you need with the 50 lbs. JMO

as said its best to splitt that 650lb into 3 apps.an put 225lb to ac 3 times.because nitrogen only stays on the ground 2weeks without rain.an released when needed.

birdog":fbqrl0y1 said:
Am I understanding fertilizer numbers correctly? 46-0-0 = 46% N- 0% P- 0% K or 46 lbs/hundred N - 0 lbs/hundred P - 0 lbs/hundred K. Soil sample recommends 100 lbs of nitrogen per acre for grazing pasture and 300 lbs of nitrogen per acre for hay production. So if I decide to graze I need to apply just over 200 lbs/acre of 46-0-0 to get 100 lbs/acre of nitrogen, or if I hay I need just over 650 lbs/acre. Is this anually or after every cutting? At $540 ton for 46-0-0 this gets expensive in a hurry.

You are understanding the percentages and pounds correctly.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I understood the numbers but I used a different supplier and the lab they used to analyze the soil provided a different looking report that had me wondering. I got my fertilizer spread last evening and got a 1/2" of rain 2 hours later. Blessing from heaven. Supposed to push 100 degrees by the weekend should grow some grass. Good luck to all.

Latest posts