Umm...bites all over my butt after sitting on straw bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I figured this was the right place to ask this question! Lmao!!! 18 bites on my back side after attending a wedding where I wore a skirt and we sat on straw bales. Wth ?
I had hubby treat entire area with fingernail polish to try to calm some of the sting/ itch. pretty hilarious except for trying to sleep I'm dying here -
Is this a straw mite ?

I would guess yes to mites. That's generally what we see. Hate them but they love me. Get my hubby too but not nearly as bad as me. No fun at all

Stupid question but I'm miserable would a shower help or waste all the meds he put on.
laying here keep discovering new bites that itch— little sobs! 🥺
A shower usually makes ours itch worse but everyone is different. We keep sting kill disposable swabs on hand now and they seem to offer some relief. So sorry your going through this. I hate them things with a passion. The bites seem to last forever. Sometimes hot tea bags offer relief. Worth a try

I figured this was the right place to ask this question! Lmao!!! 18 bites on my back side after attending a wedding where I wore a skirt and we sat on straw bales. Wth ?
I had hubby treat entire area with fingernail polish to try to calm some of the sting/ itch. pretty hilarious except for trying to sleep I'm dying here -
Is this a straw mite ?

Relieving the Itch of Mite Bites

Skip to Relieving the Itch of Mite Bites

When mites attach to skin, the saliva they secrete causes the intense itch that may be felt for several days after the mite is no longer attached. As soon as possible after walking through chigger-infested areas or being exposed to other mites, you should bathe in hot, soapy water and scrub down with a wash cloth. Oral antihistamines and/or application of a hydrocortisone cream to bites may help to relieve itching. If you develop a severe reaction, then consult your physician.

Sounds like possibly turkey mites. They're awful believe me. So bad I called the doctors office about them, they said to come in and they would prescribe permethrin cream. I said no thanks and sprayed the bites down with a low concentration permethrin spray for livestock, let's set a few minutes and washed thoroughly. Worked like a charm.

Probably 'chiggers' or some similar Trombicula type mite; by the time you're itching, the mite has fed and gone...leaving you to deal with your own body's reaction to the mite's saliva. Antihistamines and corticosteroids are the go-to; fingernail polish is useless.
So-called 'Turkey mites' are merely larval ticks, recently hatched. I'll take chiggers, any day, over having hundreds of those tiny little buggers feeding on me and eliciting a long-lasting itch

It's straw mites unless ur turkey mites are embedded in straw bales..... never herd of them. From the sounds of it several woman that wore dresses, including bride got bit to hell, IM too allergic to ivy and such so inpussed out and went to dr, I could take 19 bites all over my back and butt I went and got a shot yesterday. Gave two different. Steroids said I was already starting to act from itching - feel much better today

When growing up and when we had a corn crib with ear corn in it and also a sack or two of dried pea seed still in the hulls. When playing in the corn or handling the peas we would break out as you experienced and my mother called it pea mites. Do not remember doing any thing except scratch them when they itched and they would be gone in a day or two. Here is a reference to them.

Straw Itch Mites

Skip to Straw Itch Mites

Pyemotes tritici commonly breed in stored grain, dried beans and peas, wheat straw, hay and other dried grasses. They are frequently a problem for people doing landscaping or feeding horses and other livestock. The mites are actually beneficial because they attack insects that feed on stored grain and similar materials. People who handle mite-infested materials will be attacked. The bites of straw itch mites are characteristically found on the trunk of the body and on the arms.
The best control strategy is to eliminate the mite's host insects. If possible, clean storage areas thoroughly and then treat the areas with a pesticide, such as cyfluthrin. Treating the straw is difficult because the mites are inside the bales as well as on the surface and there is no way to treat the entire bale. Additionally, there are no insecticidal sprays labeled in North Carolina for application to hay that is use used as feed for animals. If necessary, stored commodities can be fumigated with Phostoxin® to disinfest them. Fumigation should be performed by persons holding the appropriate private applicator license or North Carolina F-phase structural pest control license or certification. More importantly, the individual must have the technical training to handle these products safely. Fumigated hay must be handled properly to make certain it is fumigant free before using it.

Latest posts