Udder lump

Help Support CattleToday:

vetdrchandan

Reaction score
I am treating a cow who has an obstruction in teat canal just the place where the part of teat and udder
Meet teat. I infused corticosteroid and also gave serratopeptidase but nothing happened. Can any one have any idea. Is it possible to dry that particular teat.

I had 1 cow with that and the vet came out and cleared a spider,which is tissue blocking the spicture (sp?) she had milked fine the previous lactations out of it ,and I have 1 now that is blocked has been since calving and it dryed up just fine on its own, I will have it cleared when she calves next,as I calf share I did not totally catch that it was a problem, she has been fine in all 4 quarters,and if this is a first calf heifer it may be a blind quarter and I would just leave it a lone
Suzanne

Sounds like a teat pea/calcification. Yes, the quarter can be dried off while still milking the other three but there will be some risk of mastitis developing in the un-milked quarter. (Dry cow therapy can't be used if the other three quarters are producing human food, but teat seal could be).

One of mine I could feel a lump just about there last year and every once in a while it would 'calve' a piece and she'd be blocked, a bit of manipulation would get the pea out and she'd be fine again. The whole lump seems to have disolved now as it can't be felt any more.

vetdrchandan":28gzo5y3 said:
If it is a pea or calcification than can it will be removed using teat dilator???

It can be removed but it was not with a dilator . We used a cone shaped instrument with a spring attachment , reached in, expanded and then grabbed the obstruction. Cannot remember the name of it and all my searches come up blank, sorry .

Latest posts