Udder

Help Support CattleToday:

That's an interesting link.
I'll have to look at her again. Mine appears to be pic number 3. She doesnt balloon at the bottom that I've noticed. But when shes full, they do point a bit outwards.

I don't worry about the udder if there is no mastitis problems. If the calf can nurse, then they will get it down. If the teats are huge, that is a concern. Sure a nice pretty tucked up udder is nice to look at. But if a big uddered cow like that raises a good calf, and even lets others nurse, doesn't have any other issues, then she is doing more than her job. The udder will be a strike if she has other problems down the road... for me, not until there is something else to worry about.

Now THAT'S a swing bag!!

As always, Jan, your input is valued! I do need to cull but would honestly rather get rid of a younger cow with attitude. This old girl is so easy, she's been a great cow and I've kept a couple of her heifers.

Stocker Steve said:
What do you think about the udders that drop and tip forward?
Seems like the calves start easily on angled foreword teats.
depending on the udder, it'll take them a month to find the back ones too!

TCRanch said:
Now THAT'S a swing bag!!
She actually stepped on her teats once while getting up
I have 2 daughters from her and they have good bags, one is a really nice cow (she was a b!tch)

Lousy pic, it's what I got right now though

The dairy breeders always bred for a good udder attachment high in the back and long in the front. teats all the same length and level. This creates long term udder health and should be standard in the beef industry. I have one that calved this year and will be sold teats nearly to large for the calve. My experience the calve will go to one teat until they become larger. I would think that the other three quarters would start drying up.

Some big Angus boys from pardon the pun height of the frame race era in the late '80's:
https://msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/dameron_linedrive.jpg
https://msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cobblepond_newyorker.jpg
I have been told on good authority that back in the 70's a very prominent Angus line had a trace of Holstein blood in their back ground, and that white on their udder is just a little of that Holstein poking through.
So the Angus breed quickly made some changes in frame and milk and ended up with some white. Wonder how that happened? Some of the breed associations demand 100% breed purity and battle the appearance of outside influence. Some of the breed associations allow you to start with any bovine and "breed up" to "purebred". Different lines of thought. But, obviously the Angus breed has made a ton of progress and have a good thing going.

I have a Jersey nurse cow that has a huge bag, low to the ground with small teats but she is a super Gentle cow who will take any calf, and she grows 2 at a time, really good! Plus I can milk her when I have to dry up my other milk cow.

I've heard its genetic.
I guess to some folks it is a culling offense..
Reminds me, I need to check her first born daughter.
She just weaned a calf, but I never looked that hard at her udder. She did a good job. She had a heifer too.
A little off-topic but we have an entire heifer/cow population that have white hairs coming out of their girly-parts— 6 of them now we call em skunk" ______ they were bred by different bulls so gotta be on cows side. All best heifers/ cows we've kept them all. 😭🤣

Latest posts