Udder Edema

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
I have a first calf heifer getting ready to calve. I think she may have early udder edema. Her udder and tits are extremely swollen and the swelling has extended into the navel area. I plan on hauling her into the vet but my road may be just to muddy to acomplish this. So I am looking for advice if I cannot get her out.

After she calves get a shot of Lasix form your vet and give it to her, occasioanlly it will take 2 shots 12 hours apart to clear it up.

dun":xou8u55f said:
After she calves get a shot of Lasix form your vet and give it to her, occasioanlly it will take 2 shots 12 hours apart to clear it up.
I figured you would know what to do having dealt with dairy cattle. I understand it is fairly common.
Thanks
Does the calf normally still get the colostrum? Do you think I may have to milk her out? If so maybe I will need to keep her up in the lot. On second thought I think I will keep her up anyway. Brahmans don't like to bring their calves up for a few days after calving.
Do you think I should still take her to the vet if possible?

dun":1ueb6k6o said:

I had an extreme case this fall with a first time heifer. I had the vet look her over as he is only about 15 miles from us and he suggested the same. With the Lasix and the calf nursing she cleared right up. We did induce her labor.

fitz

novatech":24uu6hba said:
dun":24uu6hba said:
I figured you would know what to do having dealt with dairy cattle. I understand it is fairly common.
Thanks
Does the calf normally still get the colostrum?
Normally they can but it depends on the severity. Sometimes all that is available is a cup or so from weach quarter
Do you think I may have to milk her out?
May have to but it's a case by case deal
If so maybe I will need to keep her up in the lot. On second thought I think I will keep her up anyway. Brahmans don't like to bring their calves up for a few days after calving.
Do you think I should still take her to the vet if possible?
Ask the vet if you can give Lasix before she calves, if you can that may help mitigate any problems. I've alwasy waited till after they calve and look things over. Heifers with edema frequently won;t allow the calf to nurse, they want to let them but the udder is too sore/sensitive. Wouldn;t hurt to have some clostrum on hand just in case.

Got some Lasix from the vet. One shot today, one tomorrow then one on Friday. He said the calf should take of care of the rest.
I got her into the chute and palpated her. The head is right there and ready. She has not dropped her milk yet.
Temp is supposed to drop to 30 Friday so that is when I expect her to calve.
Thanks for the replies.
As far as the mud is concerned we have gone from drought to an over abundance or rain. No grass in the drought and it doesn't grow now because of all the cloud cover. First time in a while I have had to feed hay.

We have had many heifers like you described - swelling to the naval area. Never have had to touch one of them - maybe just lucky. If she still has nice shape teats, calf should be able to get ahold of them. But, like dun said - keep an eye on her - sometimes they might not let calf suck because of pain.

The Lasix seems to be doing the job. I checked on her at about 5:30 PM yeasterday and there was already a noticeable reduction in the swelling.

Latest posts