Two Strikes Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

HighlandHillsFarm

Reaction score
I have a 5yo Highland cow who just calved prematurely. The calf was dead, not sure if it was stillborn or not as she calved so early I wasnt expecting it. The calf was about 20lbs maybe. This is her second calf. Her first was breech and stillborn. I bought her as a bred 3yo heifer. She is a big girls)bigger than my bull was) but cannot seem to produce. Should I give her a third try. The calves were from different bulls. Both successful breeders.

I'd put wheels under her. 5 years old and you haven't seen any income from her, it's time to cut your losses.

I hold on to things TOO long. It's probably been my greatest source of loss in the business. There's just too too too much good stuff out there to be fighting with anything second rate. It's time for me to practice what I preach.

HighlandHillsFarm":166kxxjp said:
I have a 5yo Highland cow who just calved prematurely. The calf was dead, not sure if it was stillborn or not as she calved so early I wasnt expecting it. The calf was about 20lbs maybe. This is her second calf. Her first was breech and stillborn. I bought her as a bred 3yo heifer. She is a big girls)bigger than my bull was) but cannot seem to produce. Should I give her a third try. The calves were from different bulls. Both successful breeders.

Her previous calf was breech - are you sure it was still born, or would closer monitoring and an intervention on your part have delivered a live calf? Any cow can have a malpresentation, and we didn't hold that against them. As far as delivering prematurely, that could be a lot of things - feed, management, genetics, getting hit by another cow, handling, disease, illness, the list goes on and on. Perhaps you might want to take a long hard look at your management plan, or perhaps it is just this particular animal. Only you can answer that, and make the necessary decision.

I have thought about all the possibilities and believe me, I have felt guilt about both calves. This cow never even looked pregnant. I only knew because she bagged up and was getting "ripe" in the rear. I was watching her closely and in fact was checking on her regularly. She calved between breakfast and three hours later with never a sign of labor. I have racked my brain about what I could have done differently but I guess it is what it is.

HighlandHillsFarm":2l4t6igu said:
I have thought about all the possibilities and believe me, I have felt guilt about both calves. This cow never even looked pregnant. I only knew because she bagged up and was getting "ripe" in the rear. I was watching her closely and in fact was checking on her regularly. She calved between breakfast and three hours later with never a sign of labor. I have racked my brain about what I could have done differently but I guess it is what it is.

Don;t beat yourself up over it, at least don;t beat yourself too much over it. Sometimes there are things with cattle that we just don't ecpect and can;t predict or change.

HighlandHillsFarm":yewu5asi said:

There is no point in feeling guilty - it's counterproductive, prevents you from seeing things clearly, and correctly assessing the situation. FWIW, I honestly did not mean to add to the guilt, I was just trying to get a better understanding of the situation. If she were mine, I would go with my gut feeling. I know that sounds ridiculous, but gut feelings are generally right.

Get her gone. I would have shipped her after the first dead calf, unless there was something really spectacular about the cow that you may have wanted in your herd.

Rod

Latest posts