Two new free orphan babies added to my little family-----Pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Two new free orphan babies added to my little family-----Pics.

100_1174.jpg

The above little girl was ½ of twins with a bull calf and is most likely a freemartin.
Momma walked away from her.
She is now 10 days old and weighed in at 36 lbs when I got her at 2 days old.
She seems to be doing fine.

The below little girl I got today and she weighed in at 27 lbs. I think she is 1 ½ days old.
Momma walked away from her and no twin was found.
She is not eating, so I am force feeding her with a turkey bester.
I don't think she will make it, but it's worth a try as the price was right.
SL

100_1172.jpg

SSGenetics":2ngwvgfw said:
Toss the "turkey baster" and tube her.... You should have asked Medicinewoman, she would have known that! :?

Never tube feed one! :) I never do.

On the one that won't eat. Get yourself a towel and rub it from head to toe. Be agressive with that towel much like mom bathing that calf with her sandpaper tongue. Rough but not abusive. That little gal may jump around a bit for you after that. Take her bottle too. I've done that over and over on calves people swear would not take a bottle.

and get yourself some nurse cows. It is cheaper and better by far. If you hold it to three calves you can turn them out to pasture after the calves have nursed for three days or so and have momma scent in them.

OK, at her 5 pm feeding I gave her a ½ Colostrum and ½ kick start mix. She drank about ½ a pint.
At her 7 pm feeding she drank a full pint of the same mix.
Here is what I found when I went down to feed her at 7 pm.
If she makes it through the night I think she might just make it. :banana:
SL
PS: OH I forgot to tell you I got my camera fixed so it takes pics again instead of just video so now you don't have to run a video and hit the stop button to see my pics. ( DH )

100_1177.jpg

backhoeboogie":39wt643s said:
SSGenetics":39wt643s said:
Toss the "turkey baster" and tube her.... You should have asked Medicinewoman, she would have known that! :?

Never tube feed one! :) I never do.

On the one that won't eat. Get yourself a towel and rub it from head to toe. Be agressive with that towel much like mom bathing that calf with her sandpaper tongue. Rough but not abusive. That little gal may jump around a bit for you after that. Take her bottle too. I've done that over and over on calves people swear would not take a bottle.
i am very interested to know why to never tube feed one that won't eat i have raised over 1000 bottle calves and have saved alot of calves by using a tube.and yes it sounds like she should do fine

denvermartinfarms":e6nxle7j said:
i am very interested to know why to never tube feed one that won't eat i have raised over 1000 bottle calves and have saved alot of calves by using a tube.and yes it sounds like she should do fine

Too many train wrecks. You obviously know what you are doing. I have done atleast that many, going back in to the 70's. I have always managed without a tube kit. There is one in the cabinet that has never been used. The sooner I get them going natural, the better in my opinion. Its been a fight at times.

backhoeboogie":iqczqofz said:
denvermartinfarms":iqczqofz said:

Too many train wrecks. You obviously know what you are doing. I have done atleast that many, going back in to the 70's. I have always managed without a tube kit. There is one in the cabinet that has never been used. The sooner I get them going natural, the better in my opinion. Its been a fight at times.

Would have to agree to disagree on this one Boogie...

The rubbing really does help, but some are too far gone. For those a good tubing and a lactated ringer and you can have a brand new calf. :2cents: SL's doesn't seem to be too bad, as it is able to stand.

Good luck SL.

SSGenetics":1jrzm2m8 said:
Would have to agree to disagree on this one Boogie...

:D Won't be the last time from this board I am sure. Bear in mind that I am more stubborn than the calves are.

TT,
Re:
They're abandoned not orphaned.
I was in your camp on that one, until on another board, when discussing a name for my little rescue mission, they ran this by me.

Wik:
The term is generally considered outmoded in the United States,
Snip
Although many people presume that most children who live in orphanages are orphans, this is often not the case with four out of five children in orphanages having at least one living parent and most having some extended family.

I guess our thinking is a little behind the times. :lol:
SL

Re:
The rubbing really does help,
I totally agree and do it all the time.

Re: to tube or not to tube

I decided not to tube because I didn't think the ball on the end of the tube would even fit down her little throat and I only tube as a last resort to avoid causing other problems, such as respiratory problems.
Plus I have had my share of train wrecks over the years and I just didn't feel it was necessary at this time.
For me the risk of tubing was just to high for a calf in this good condition.

Re:
How are your baby donkey and mule doing?
Great, except the mule is as stubborn as a ------well------------mule.
I have her halter broken but she refuses to be led.
I get some new pics as soon as the rain stops.

OK update:
Midnight bed check--------curled up sleeping fine.
5 Am bed check----------curled up sleeping fine.
8AM feeding:
Refused calf nipple and didn't even try to suck.
Feed ½ pt by turkey baster.
Conclusion: Nipple to big and hard. Lungs under developed and can not create sufficient suction.
Go get goat nipple and add additional vent hole and enlarge opening.

Noon feeding:
Refused goat nipple and didn't even try to suck.
Conclusion: Nipple still to big and hard.
Go get baby bottle and nipple.
Result: She latched onto it and took 15 oz.

6 PM feeding:
Latched onto baby bottle and took 15 oz.

There may be hope yet!
SL

Massey135":1ozr7y66 said:
My thoughts exactly, SS. I would have been shunned for suggesting such though.
Please note that SS showed total respect in his post. Nothing offensive or devisive. Just stated how he did it. Both ways work. Just which every you choose. We drenched the few that needed it. Takes less than 5 minutes and he/she has a belly full of nutrition. The only wreck you can have is drowning it if you don't know what you're doing and put the fluid in the lungs.

backhoeboogie":3fpth51m said:
denvermartinfarms":3fpth51m said:

i would allways rather not have to also but i think that no matter what if you have a calf that will not eat and is going to die becuse of that then there should be no thought to it.was not trying to sound like a butt head just could not agree with never tube feeding a calf no matter what.

Re:
just could not agree with never tube feeding a calf no matter what.
I agree with that.
Most of those that I have tubed were suffering from severe dehydration and would not suck.
SL

Up date:
9 PM feeding: sucked down 10 oz from baby bottle.

Latest posts