Two down, one more to go

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Went to two shows on the weekend, then there's just one more show for the season.

First show we took the 9mth heifer, the 16mth heifer and the 17mth bull. They got 2nd, 3rd, 1st and Rsv Jnr Champ respectively. It was interbreed classes so pretty happy with that. I also showed two Limo cows, came 1st and 2nd in their class and one was Rsv Snr Female. Also had Angoras and Boers which took out all the major broads in their respective sections, with the doe from Melb winning the angora section and a rising 2yr old buck winning the boer section.

The second show we just had the murray greys, the entire melbourne team. The 9mth heifer won her class, junior champion murray grey heifer, grand champion murray grey heifer, champion interbreed female and supreme beef bred exhibit. Pretty good against the 7 and 8 yr old cows! The 13mth heifer was 3rd in her class, the 16mth heifer was 1st in her class. The 16mth bull which was unplaced at melb won his class, went on to be junior champion murray grey bull, grand champion murray grey bull and champion interbreed bull. The 17mth bull that won at melb was placed 2nd in the class and reserve champion. So overall a ripper weekend!

Here's the photos:

Supreme Beef Bred Exhibit - 9mth heifer
Murray_Greys_002.JPG

Champion Interbreed Bull - 16mth
Murray_Greys_021.JPG

Gorgeous cattle Keren, congrats on your wins Supreme Beef Exhibit is a great achievement at any show! We don't usually see the Murray's go that well up here!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have really liked that bull since he was young. Its funny we've been taking two of them around to the shows this year from when they were 10 and 11 months old, now they are 16 and 17. Every show we go to, the judges swap them round. No one can decide which is the better animal. The one posted here was unplaced in his class at Melb while the other one won Reserve Champ. It will be interesting to see what they will both be like at 3 yr. I actually would have thought the bull would have beaten the heifer on sunday, but the judge really liked her.

murray greys often snavel the supreme female in our new england area. they are nice broody type cows and take a fair bit to beat in the ring. further south in our area herefords often win or the dreaded charolais ( thats for Bek) I like good cattle of any breed. Carla we don't see many Shorthorns in our show rings up here.I love when the Brahman wins in a British breed area.
Colin

The dreaded Charolais :shock:

Congrats again Keren, at any show with any breed getting SE is a great accomplishment.

As for the Shorthorns, Carla I haven't seen Shorthorns at a show around here for 3 years or more.

I have to agree with the dreaded charolais, and add the dreaded angus! at the melb syd and can royals in the interbreed it is always charolais, angus, charolais, angus. Just look at melb this yr. Unfortunately, there are often some really good animals of other breeds out there but I dont think they really get a good look at because the major breeds dominate, angus, charolais, shorthorn, limo. At sydney this year I showed the calf on the square meater cow in the interbreed. They lined us all up and the judge began to make comments. He said "Today I'm looking for cattle that can fit all the australian industries . . . cattle like the angus and shorthorn which can target any market. Breeds such as the square meaters and lowlines aren't versatile enough to fit all australian industries, so I wont be looking at them much today" Now I've got a few problems with that: (a) the square meater breed was developed to produce vealers, not to meet all the australian markets (b) the sydney interbreed class description clearly states 'the animal which is the best representative of its respective breed' not the best animal for australian industries and (c) that judge really did a lot for the promotion of square meaters and lowline breeds (which is why we are showing in the first place), by announcing that they are not versatile to hundreds of spectators and prospective buyers, who will now shy away from those breeds. Now, the square meater cow was 9 yrs old and looked like a 4 yr old. Surely she was worth a bit of a look, but no the judge didn't even come down our end of the line. We would have been better to leave the cow in the shed and go have a drink. Aargh it makes me so angry! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Woops, I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry bout the rant.

I should say I have seen some beautiful angus and charolais cattle win interbeed comps, the senior angus bull at melb this yr was the best bull of any breed I have seen, I would have married him if I could! I can't say I've seen any brahmans win in a taurus dominated area, but I do love watching when the Red Belted Galloway wins supreme Belted Galloway exhibit over the blacks.

By the way thanks for all the congrats :D our last show for the season is this weekend, but after that no rest for me, we have to make final decisions about the bulls and break in the calves for next year!

Which judge would have that happened to be, there was a judge that we had for a Dexter show, who was a bit of an idiot.You never know it may be the same one. And that's very true that you barely get looked at unless you're Charolais/Angus/Shortie/Limo and occasionally Brahman, its an unfortunate reality. I find more often than not the judges at the locals are better than the ones at the royals!

I like the Ekka, because it seperates the bigger breeds from the smaller breeds, because to put it quite frankly, with a majority of judges the little guys don't have a chance, but I have only found that at royals. We've won over 10 Champion British Breed Bull with our Lowline Bull over 2 years, like I said the locals seem to judge fairer.

Anyway I better stop ranting, good luck this weekend!!!

Latest posts