twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Weaver

Reaction score
We started calving about a week ago and the other night when i got off from a 12 hour shift at work it was raining cats and dogs. I usually check the cows once a day to tag calves and make sure there are no other problems. Well since it was raining when i got off with no let up in sight, I just went home. I had a bad feeling all night that i should have checked the cows even if it was raining. I didn't have to work the next day so when i woke up i headed over to the farm to check things out. I found two new calves and got them tagged and recorded. I knew of another cow that was real close to calving that wasn't with the other cows so i figured she was off by herself and had prolly calved. I found her laying down trying to calve. She was trying to have twins. Both twins were trying to come out at the same time. The first ones hip bones were next to the second ones shoulders. Thats the point where they got wedged in cows pelvic area. I pulled both the calves but they were both dead. The cow couldn't get up, so i went to the vet and got some dexamethasome for the swelling around the spinal cord. She was a 5 year old cow calving for the fourth time. She is a real easy keeping cow and one im going to hate to lose if she don't get back up. What are the chances of both twins trying to come out at once. Just frustrating. I guess that makes a person more appreciative when things go as planned.

you just had 1 heck of a freaker thing happen with a set of twins.i bet the twins paralized that cow.if you have a loader an a set of hipplifters.id lift her an see how bad she is.sounds like she is paralized pretty bad though.

Had almost the same thing happen to a 4 year old cow a couple of weeks ago. I lost both calves, and the cow was in bad shape. I tried getting her up just by myself, but she wouldnt budge, so I finally got my dogs around her, and they finally got her up, even though she was struggling. I washed her out good, and kept her up for a while, and fed her, before turning her out. Shes fine now.

I run cows in a bunch of unreclaimed coal mine ground. Some of the ground is pretty rough and a can't get a tractor down to her. She has been able to get partially up, but just can't get here feet lined out underneath her to stand up straight. Hopefully she continues to improve, but I have my doubts.

If your cow can get partially up now, I think she will be right if you can keep looking after her.
We've had plenty of twin calves but never had them try and come both at once. However, we did lose a good mare - she had four little hooves sticking out, the back feet of one foal and the front feet of another. The foals were dead and the mare had to be destroyed.