Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
One of my best cows had twins this morning. A bull and a heifer.

The bulls weighed 82 lbs. and the heifer weighed 76.

The cow looks like a deflated beach ball. Guess I'll have to get her up and help her out a little on the nutrition end.

She's having a heck of a time keeping them together. They're running all over the pasture with her trying to keep up. :lol:

I've been watching this comedy since daylight this morning.

Anybody want a heifer calf to bottle feed?

Aw thats cool ,congrats on the babies.If i lived closer I would feed her for you. I already have a bull calf to feed. So what another mouth. Good luck with them.

MikeC or anyone else - You ever try keeping a heifer from a male/female pair? We had a set last year out of my best cow, read all the stats and research, wound up keeping the heifer around to see. Always sold them before. She's now 13 months, have not had her blood ran or vet examine her, but have seen her in heat and everything appears normal. Will be interesting to see if she breeds.

cfpinz

cfpinz":14nqg046 said:
MikeC or anyone else - You ever try keeping a heifer from a male/female pair? We had a set last year out of my best cow, read all the stats and research, wound up keeping the heifer around to see. Always sold them before. She's now 13 months, have not had her blood ran or vet examine her, but have seen her in heat and everything appears normal. Will be interesting to see if she breeds.

cfpinz
every now an then a bull heifer twin the heifer will be ok an breed.but that is very that they will breed.99% will be free martins.

If she shows heat signs, she is cycling and probably is in the 10% of heifers born to twin bulls that are not a freemartin.

Please keep us updated on what happens in the future with her as I am sure many of the members of this board has been wondering about keeping twin heifers before.

Many yrs. ago when i was a boy my dad gave me a small heifer calf that had a twin bro. bull calf. I raised her and when she cycled I had her bred (AI) to blk angus bull. I am happy to report i raised many calves from her. This was my first calf that totally belonged to me. I will never forget how happy i was that this little holstein x blk angus twin. made the best mommy cow one could ask for.

P.S. I was very lucky, most will not concieve even if they cycle & breed on regular bases.

I have a set of twin cows that are about 6 yrs old now, have great calves every year - they were pretty tiny at birth but by weaning you'd never know they were twins - I really loved their momma, so decided to keep them both as replacements - 1 of them has had 1 set of twins 2 yrs ago and the other has always just gone single. But never a problem, always great looking calves. They are out of a char/herf x cow and by a really nice herf bull - one of them is red/white and the other is a real pale tan/white. Nice cows - can't complain with a twofer!

sjr725":3bzawlzx said:
I have a set of twin cows that are about 6 yrs old now, have great calves every year - they were pretty tiny at birth but by weaning you'd never know they were twins - I really loved their momma, so decided to keep them both as replacements - 1 of them has had 1 set of twins 2 yrs ago and the other has always just gone single. But never a problem, always great looking calves. They are out of a char/herf x cow and by a really nice herf bull - one of them is red/white and the other is a real pale tan/white. Nice cows - can't complain with a twofer!

Twin heifers aren't the problem, only when it's a heifer with a bull.

We had a heifer from a bull/heifer twin few years back,and amazingly, she too got pregnant. The only reason she was allowed to hang around long enough for this to happen was because she had been a poddy... we realised she was pregnant just before we were about to send her to the saleyards. Instead, we sold her with a few other cows to a hobby farmer and as far as we know, she's bred back every year.

We usually get one or two sets of twins every year - these 2 heifers/cows are the only ones I've kept. It's hard to remember but I can't recall very many sets of twins of different sexes? Seems to me they're usually both bull calves? I usually end up bottle raising one of them but This pair of heifers was a first for us - momma managed to raise both of them just fine - although I'm sure it was hectic for her - I think she finally gave up and just let them go wherever they wanted! With a relatively small commercial herd (we've got 372 bred cows this year) we don't keep too many, although I am keeping a bunch of heifers this year by my best charlois bulls - because we'll be cycling these bulls out next year anyway.

Those're some good weights on those twins, Mike. I have a pair born about every year, but much smaller BW(s). Normally, the pair don't fetch as much as one at the stockyard sale. The lone exception being a Char (second calf ) mama raising two that together brought over $700 U.S..

Latest posts