Twins, how far apart?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How far apart have you seen a cow have twins? Daughter found one of her cows had calved Wednesday morning, she checked on them that afternoon, I saw them Thursday morning and she saw them that afternoon again. We were gone to our county sale Saturday morning, we checked cows when we got home and found another calf. She was interested and would lick it but would kick it and knco it over. No other cows shows sign of calving and she had more afterbirth hanging out.

Personally, Ive never had twins more than a few minutes a part, however, that is when there has been a problem and we have had to pull them. I've had cows have them on their own, but to be honest I'm not sure how far a part they were, but at most a few hours. I've heard of stories where the calves have been a day maybe a part. I'm interested in hearing others' experiences on this too. Just a thought, are you 100% sure she was the one that calved the first one? Are they both pretty good size? Sounds like you need to go to the jerry springer/ murray show and get a paternity test, that be hilarious, a cow, her two calves, and maybe the daddy bull on stage :lol: good luck,
Jenna

cowgirl_jenna":gop481vb said:
Personally, Ive never had twins more than a few minutes a part, however, that is when there has been a problem and we have had to pull them. I've had cows have them on their own, but to be honest I'm not sure how far a part they were, but at most a few hours. I've heard of stories where the calves have been a day maybe a part. I'm interested in hearing others' experiences on this too. Just a thought, are you 100% sure she was the one that calved the first one? Are they both pretty good size? Sounds like you need to go to the jerry springer/ murray show and get a paternity test, that be hilarious, a cow, her two calves, and maybe the daddy bull on stage :lol: good luck,
Jenna
She is claiming the first one, or the one we think is first as it is a heifer and the other one is a bull. They are both 60-70 pound calves.

I am not 100% sure of anything, seeing more drainage or afterbirth from her is what was confusing. They have access to a few acres of woods, maybe that calf was hid in there and came out, but I would not think it could have survived 3 days without nursing.

Holstein cow couple days anyway had it happen 2-3 times I can remember. Buddy mine had beef cow went 7 days. Was only cow in the pen. Don't remember if calf lived or not.

Had a cow that give birth the first calf. Six hours later there is an extra calf sucking on the cow and she claimed both calves. She had twins before (4 sets) but they are usually born 5 seconds to 10 minutes apart from each other.

20 minutes on the one I witnessed. Both heifers and both small. I wasn't there for the other case.

tom,
It's been discussed here before; have seen a newspaper article from about a year ago on a cow that had twins 20 days apart.
Had a client, years ago, who swore that they had a cow that had two calves 6 weeks apart - I didn't see 'em, and I'll admit I'm skeptical, but they had no reason to lie to me.

Lucky_P":31qsw3bg said:
tom,
It's been discussed here before; have seen a newspaper article from about a year ago on a cow that had twins 20 days apart.
Had a client, years ago, who swore that they had a cow that had two calves 6 weeks apart - I didn't see 'em, and I'll admit I'm skeptical, but they had no reason to lie to me.

I remember reading that article now that you mention it. I really wonder when she had the second calf. She had been checked several times since calving with no sign of it, then this calf acted more like a newborn.

She still has not cleaned herself, what would you suggest on that? Everything I have read says retained placentas are common with twins.

I hate twin's had a cow have one in one pasture clean it and go over to another and have one.
Fried her little brain forgot all about the first calf and wouldn't claim it. I have had them only claim one most of the time. Another one cleaned up and took care of both.

About 24 hours. I had tagged the first calf right at birth. Then the next day the cow had her calf with her nursing but it had no tag. Thought I was losing my mind. Drove around out in the woods and found her first calf. She had gone off from the herd, had her second calf and left her first behind. Got them all together and she took both without an issue. It was on April Fool's Day I found the second. I went and told my mother that 45B had a second calf and she thought I was pulling her leg. She didn't believe me until she went out and saw it.lol

I see this twins thread has been inactive for a while but I had to share this to get some feedback. And also for the forums knowledge.

I have a red Angus cow tag K31, she has always been a relatively bad mother. Leaves calves, poor lactation, bad at mothering in basically every way. But a beautiful cow. Had to bottle feed her first two calves for two days before she would let them latch.

She threw a calf on June 20th, tiny little heifer. The calf was weak and I knew it would die because I was leaving for Austin on the 21st for a week. I spent some time with them trying to see if the calf would latch but sure enough K31 would just stand there half-heartedly licking it and moving and not letting it get a good grip. I knew it would die and it did.

August 4th, a few days before she was set to go to market. I happened upon her on the fence away from the herd. Same place she went to calf a couple years back, down to the same tree. She had another calf. I am bottle feeding it now. She won't hardly let it latch and she has little swelling in her udders to imply the presence of milk.

Just wanted folks to know that such a gap in twins can exist. June 21st to August 4th 2017. And there is no mistake in this information, I only have 20 cows and I know them like they're my children.

Just some info for the community that I thought was fascinating. I have never heard of a gap this long between twins. We'll see if this one lives. It is awful small but has a bit more spirit to it than the first. Seems to have poor coordination though. Takes a bottle very well.

I have had a set born 3 days apart. Had a heifer in the small lot with the barn/shed. By herself, no other animals in the pen/lot. Found her on a friday morning with a dead heifer calf, licking and trying her best to get it to get up. So I got a calf off a dairy and she let it suck on sat and sun morning but on sun night was doing all she could to keep it away. Go back Monday and she has a calf out in the pen. Pure black exactly like the dead one friday with a teeny white dot on the forehead. Cleaning up the afterbirth. And I watched her clean up the afterbirth on friday. As soon as this calf was up and nursing, she took the hol bull back and let it suck. Eventually put a 3rd calf on her, she is 3/4 jersey and 1/4 holstein. Had bred her to an easy calving angus so the black calves made sense. Both were heifer calves and am breeding the living twin. Most are maybe a few hours to a day apart but the vet told me he had seen a few over the years that were a few days apart. Blew my mind.

FarmerJesse":2c0v3tug said:
I see this twins thread has been inactive for a while but I had to share this to get some feedback. And also for the forums knowledge.

I have a red Angus cow tag K31, she has always been a relatively bad mother. Leaves calves, poor lactation, bad at mothering in basically every way. But a beautiful cow. Had to bottle feed her first two calves for two days before she would let them latch.

She threw a calf on June 20th, tiny little heifer. The calf was weak and I knew it would die because I was leaving for Austin on the 21st for a week. I spent some time with them trying to see if the calf would latch but sure enough K31 would just stand there half-heartedly licking it and moving and not letting it get a good grip. I knew it would die and it did.

August 4th, a few days before she was set to go to market. I happened upon her on the fence away from the herd. Same place she went to calf a couple years back, down to the same tree. She had another calf. I am bottle feeding it now. She won't hardly let it latch and she has little swelling in her udders to imply the presence of milk.

Just wanted folks to know that such a gap in twins can exist. June 21st to August 4th 2017. And there is no mistake in this information, I only have 20 cows and I know them like they're my children.

Just some info for the community that I thought was fascinating. I have never heard of a gap this long between twins. We'll see if this one lives. It is awful small but has a bit more spirit to it than the first. Seems to have poor coordination though. Takes a bottle very well.

Sorry, no offense meant, but why after so many calves do you still put up with this cow? No cow is that good looking to qualify for so many chances when it is HER JOB to raise the calf. I have had some nice looking cows but if they don't do the job by the second time around, they go. Some have been pets but I am not going to do the job they are supposed to do year after year.

Good luck with the 2nd calf, hope she gets going for you and hopefully will get a little more co-ordination as she gets some strength.

Latest posts