Twins....Again!

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
For those of you who saw my post last year of the brahman twins, we lost one and the other survived.

Well yesterday my dad arrived at the ranch and see's the cow(different cow from last year) licking something. He saw a calf and thought she was licking afterbirth. He walks to get a closer look and she is licking a second calf!
She had twin bull calves! Sadly the last one born must have been inside too long. Guessing his umbilical cord broke before he was born, he was formed normally his eyes were open and his mouth was open. Would have been nice for both calves to have lived. She would lick the live one and then the dead one:(
But I am happy for a live calf. Both calves were about 70 lbs each.

Really surprised for a set of twins out of brahman cows two years in a row! The twins from last year were the cows second calves. This set were this cow's second calves.

He didn't make it :(
1024131723.jpg

His brother did.
1024131725.jpg

Let him nurse last night but he was having a little trouble getting on the teat by himself. He was up this morning moving. Its good to have gentle cows. Put the teat in his mouth and when he let go he was able to go back and get it in his mouth by himself.

1025130901a.jpg

Red Brahman babies are so cute (can't believe I just said "so cute").
yes, they are!

Sorry 4 the loss of the one calf, but the survivor and mom look good! We have a older angus cow that if i remember correctly has had 3 sets of twins in 7 years. 2 of those she raised both calves and you would never know them from their herd-mates.
jenna

Get all dressed up, make nice dinner plans with your spouse. Guaranteed to make it rain, kid gets sick, car breaks.