Twin Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
I had a cow give birth to twin heifers today. In everyones experience will both these heifers be fertile. I know one born twin to a bull is usually sterile, just wanting info on a case like this.

You should be fine.If it had been a Bull and a Heifer calf, you'd more than likely have a sterility problem.Just make sure the Momma Cow has adequate milk, and is "mothering" the both of em'.

both of the heifers should be fine for breeding when they grow up like was said make sure the momma has enough milk to raise them scott

Had a cow had twin heifers this past September. Nursed 'em both. Sold the bigger of the two last month, 6 months old , weighed 185 lbs. Hoping the one left will benefit by being the only one on the cow now. Momma cow not a big milker but normally weans a 500 pound calf. Hope your cow is a better milker. BTW, got $1.70/lb for the one I sold, so I'm guessing and hoping that when I sell the other twin and add it to the money for the first I'll end up with the same money total as if I'd had one 500 pounder. Good luck, jgn. But you didn't ask for all that info. Sorry. You asked if heifer twins were fertile. Yes, they are. I would have liked to have retained my heifer twins, but at their rate of growth, they wouldn't have reached maturity until the end of the decade.

I have a set of twin heifers that had their second calves this spring and another one that was a twin to a heifer that had her first calf last week.

The sterility (freemartinism) in heifers born twin to a bull is because of the sharing/mixing of hormones. If the male hormones aren;t present it won;t affect the fertility of the heifer.

dun

Thanks for all the info. I guess you can tell this is the first set for me. She cleaned both after birth and was licking and letting both nurse her. She is a good cow and has plenty of milk so I guess I'll just have to see how they progress. (ga. prime), the more info the better, a lot of the time if other people are like me I don't always remember all the questions I want to ask or don't think of one you might answer without me asking. Thanks again, Greg.

We've got two sets of twin heifers in the cow herd.. no fertility problems with either group.

Keep in mind if you keep either or both in your herd, they carry that lovely twinning gene.. so they may very well have twins themselves as some point.