Turtles

Help Support CattleToday:

I prefer the hollow-point .22 myself... The catfish will take care of them afterwards! I have always been concerned with putting lead into my ponds (that is where most of turtles hang out).

Caustic Burno":1o4kmsjh said:
Overkill 410 with 8's works well unless you are just the into blowing them up

I started with 7-1/2 dove loads but didn't think I was getting the job done.
The #4's leave no doubt :D

About 4 years ago, I had a big population of various types of turtles in my pond--mostly cooters and sliders and they'd come from every part of it when I fed the catfish day and night. I got tired of the theivin sobs and went down one evening about 2 hours before sunset with a .22 and 50 rounds and the Night of the Great Turtle Massacre took place. Sometimes, I'd hit one and it must have paralyzed one side, because they'd just swim in tight circles, with flippers on one side making that quick flp-flp-flp-flp noise and I'd hit em again.
Next afternoon, I had to take the little boat out and scoop all the nasty stinking things out with a dipnet and throw em over behind the dam. :yuck: Their population has never recovered. (I have since 'heard' that it is illegal to kill some of them.)

You guys are depraved. Turtles? Snakes I understand. But not TURTLES. My dad wanted to kill everything but never seen him kill a turtle.

Edited: Unless you are eating them. I have had cooked snapping turtle. Good.

Margonme":eim726sg said:
You guys are depraved. Turtles? Snakes I understand. But not TURTLES. My dad wanted to kill everything but never seen him kill a turtle.

Snappers go, others I leave alone.

ga.prime":1u1rdew9 said:
littletom":1u1rdew9 said:
Last summer they nearly ruined the bag on a cow. Pretty much chewed one teat off.
If that cow was dumb enough to stand there and let that happen....
All it takes is one chomp for it to lose a teat

Margonme":2vlh2ywl said:

For those of us who raise fish in our ponds .
For the same reason a sheep rancher shoots coyote's. Turtles play he'll with nesting fish.

Latest posts