Turning wet Windrows ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Having a tough time with some heavy hay windrows. Both the low cart 10 wheel rake and the rolla bar rake plug right away. Will need to upgrade... What are your thoughts on the 2 wheel/3pt mounted rake vs. NH conveyor style inverter vs. other ideas ?

The inverter might be your best bet. I would rent one before I'd buy it, they seem to have zero resale value. Seen a mint shape one go in MN two years ago for $400. Surprised the rolabar won't move it. Have moved some ridiculous swaths with mine - as high as the rake itself.

The only time I had problems with the rolabar was when I got in a hurry and was running too fast. Dropped down a couple of gears and the problem went away. But dam, it seemed slow. It wasn;t as slow as having to keep stopping and clearing the plug in it though

I use a 2 wheel 3 pt and it will flat sling some good sized windrows. You can also adjust the curtain in or out depending on how much hay is in windrow. Kind of a nice problem to have SS....

The NH 144 inverter won't turn heavy hay since it is ground driven it will just plug up and skid the drive tire. If you went with the hydraulic driven 166 then you might have a chance.

My Pequea Rotary rake will turn any windrow you can throw at it.

chevytaHOE5674":3snjlyia said:
The NH 144 inverter won't turn heavy hay since it is ground driven it will just plug up and skid the drive tire.

I haven't tried going slower with the rolla bar to stop the drive tires from skidding. Good tip.
I think the 144 was designed for alfalfa. I am working head high reed canary.
Neighbor bought a new Vermeer powered V rake. I think they cost about $1,000/ft ...

Only rake I've used that will rake hood height reed canary grass is a rotary and even then they don't do the best job. My bar rake just plugs and jams with canary grass, and a V wheel rake just balls up and plugs as well.

A rotary rake will rake a tough crop and still be easy on the crop. And it will dry faster,it wont rope the hay.
also you don't have to drive perfect to get it upside down. The more bars on the rake the faster you can go.

Latest posts