Turning it over in my mind..................................

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I'm sort of contemplating having Pauncho collected. Do you think there would be any market for his semen above our own useage?

Thanks

Pauncho1.jpg

Pauncho2.jpg

Pauncho3.jpg

Pauncho4.jpg

Pauncho5.jpg

By all means collect him for own use only if you just pay for what you want, collecting for semen sales is a whole 'nuther ballgame. I think Pauncho is a very good red angus bull, but is he really an AI sire?

I am not trying to discourage you becauseI know it is possible if you work hard at it, but from my experience, it is real hard to compete with ABS, Genex, Select, Accelerated, etc. People like to use what is known or popular and it takes alot of time and $ to get a bull to that status, no matter how good he is. Plus, when they have a truck drive into your yard and hand deliver the semen, fill your tanks, and whatever else they do, compared to shipping the semen to someone and it costs at a minimum of $60.

It looks like he is pretty good from the photo, what is his pedigree and numbers? That also plays a huge role into selling semen. Most of the semen that is sold by the big boys is marketed towards commercial heifer projects, this is why you see so many calving ease bulls in their line-up. It is easier to sell a negative BW EPD bull than one above average, no matter how easy they come. ranchers also want to use a pedigree that they know some. Most don't like to reach outside the box and try something a bit different. Maybe this bull has that popular pedigree, I am not sure, just trying to give you my opinion.

If you do decide to try to market some, I would try to get hooked up with someone like Cattle Visions and let them market it for you. They have a wide customer base and Lance is pretty well respected in the industry.

Goodluck!

I have never A.I.ed before but would there be a market via private treaty? Kinda like selling locally to your community avoiding shipping costs. Selling to the guy who keeps asking to rent or buy your bull? I know I would like that. If I could go see a bull in person as well as look at his EPD's and calves with the ability to take home some semen that would be super for me. I can see him (in person) and use him but I don't have to vet or feed him!

In another post you mentioned how much you enjoyed AI'ing...heck collect him and let all your friends know about it. You might make pretty good "mad money" selling the semen, breeding cattle, improving their herds and saving them money on buying bulls.

If you like him and are happy with his calves collect him even, if it for your own use. In 5 years he may be the perfect fit to add back into your herd.

Thanks for the suggestions. BRG - I hadn;t planned on actively marketing him other then either through Cattlevisions or Genex extra attractions. Didn;t plan on making any significant money, just thought it may be a way to help defray the costs of having him collected and frozen.
KNERSIE - I don;t think he can compete with the majority of the AI stud bulls. That said, I think he's at least as good and even better then a lot of the bulls that are being marketed through the secondary markets, i.e. Genex added attractions and some of the small outfits that market semen from other then the major studs.
I sure don;t think he's a workld beater but he's a decent bull

Well, he sure is a nice looking bull. You must be pleased with his calves if you are contemplating collecting him. May well be worth it to you to collect him for your own use. But have any of his calves been shown? How did they do if they were, that is probably a good spot to start in marketing him. Bottom line is you like him. If you want to keep him in your herd beyond his natural breeding life, collect him.

Dun,
You mentioned in the other thread that he was a terminal bull because his heifers would have poor calving and do harm to the genetics of the breed. How would you insure that anyone you sold semen to would not use heifers off him and start an undesirable breeding program? I know he would be great in most anyone's terminal operation.

BARNSCOOP":2xnp34fr said:
Dun,
You mentioned in the other thread that he was a terminal bull because his heifers would have poor calving and do harm to the genetics of the breed. How would you insure that anyone you sold semen to would not use heifers off him and start an undesirable breeding program? I know he would be great in most anyone's terminal operation.
First off, if someone else wants to do it that's all well and good, their choice. They other is not selling semen certs along with the semen. At least that would keep him out of the registered gene pool.

Based on my experience with it, I would collect him, and put the straws up for sale. Anyone that came and looked at cattle or bought cattle from you and likes your bull, casually mention that you have semen on him for sale. Anyone doing A.I. may want to pick up a few straws. That's just an extra avenue for profit.

dun":35o13lss said:
Thanks for the suggestions. BRG - I hadn;t planned on actively marketing him other then either through Cattlevisions or Genex extra attractions. Didn;t plan on making any significant money, just thought it may be a way to help defray the costs of having him collected and frozen.
KNERSIE - I don;t think he can compete with the majority of the AI stud bulls. That said, I think he's at least as good and even better then a lot of the bulls that are being marketed through the secondary markets, i.e. Genex added attractions and some of the small outfits that market semen from other then the major studs.
I sure don;t think he's a workld beater but he's a decent bull
Agreed---Go for it !!! 8)

xbred":1nu0br4y said:
do you have any photos of his get?
Pauncho was only batting cleanup last year. There's another heifer calf but she and her dam were so far back in the brush I didn;t feel like busting them out
Born 4-4-09
jefe.jpg

His dam
flash.jpg

Born 3/28/09
arthur.jpg

His dam, our sorriest calf raising cow
hoover.jpg

dun":s5mil4id said:
I'm sort of contemplating having Pauncho collected. Do you think there would be any market for his semen above our own useage?

Thanks

Pauncho1.jpg

Pauncho2.jpg

Pauncho3.jpg

Pauncho4.jpg

Pauncho5.jpg

Go for it. Both my bulls were collected by GENEX. Who would you be using to collect him?

Latest posts