Turkey Litter Use

Help Support CattleToday:

skyeagle":2nktldhi said:
Koch just put in some chicken houses near by.I was going
to pick up a few loads. But do i need to keep the cattle off
the land till the rain breaks it down. "If we ever get rain"

Made in the USA

YES, do not allow the cattle to get to the litter. imho

I have never been to Minnesota but I have been certified to spread livestock waste in another state and the state guys generally frown on spreading it in the winter. It is done even when illegal IF necessary; but generally you want to pump down lagoons and clean out your poultry houses by October 20. I could justify it here (especially this year); but if you ARE going to do it ""IN MINNESOTA"" hurry up and do it; because spreading on frozen ground can get you a fine. You should have a soil test to find out both how much nutrients you legally can spread and what the ground actually needs and legally (at least in some states) you need it for your records.

DO NOT put it on in spring or summer months, it will burn your grass up, I know from experience, father in law was "tryin to help" and had it done on our hay field year before last in april......our first cuttin of hay was only 5 round bales...off a field that normally produces 25 round bales....it's great if put out in the late fall, when it can sit thru the winter and get rained on....then in the spring the grass really takes off.

It will not burn up your grass if you don't overload it. You SHOULD know what the soil requirements are so you can calculate the amount per acre to put out before you spread anything.

We weren't planning on puttin anything on the hay field since it had been taken care of the previous fall.....but when you have "help" that doesn't discuss things prior to acting on it.....things can and do go wrong.

But still....it wasn't a heavy spread.....then got a spring rain on it. then temps jumped to the mid 90s the next few days...burnt it to a crisp. From now on there wont' be anything spread on the hay field in the spring or summer. Commercial fertilizer is to expensive to take a chance on it layin there and not gettin rain, then it's useless. The chicken litter, when put on in the fall, will soak in as it rains thru the winter months here, works great.

Ive been putting it out in the spring for years and never ever had a problem except having to gear my tractor down because the grass was so thick. And thats with a vicon mower.

Latest posts