TSC chicks

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well i went to town today an i had chick fever.so went by TSC to look at the chicks.but they only ordered 30 standard chicks an had sold out.i was like dang order atlest 150 chicks.so you dont run out when order comes in.but they had ducks goslins an banties.so i walked out without chicks.will try to get some in the next week or 2.

mine (just opened up) got chicks on the 7th. they had RIRs, and the rest looked like white leghorns or buff orpingtons. and there were like 2 or 3 bantams. in another galvanized trough they had ducklings, most of them looked like pekins and a few khakis. and they had two troughfulls of bunnies. that was a friday i believe, on wednesday they had only one trough of bunnies left.

i thought i might pick up a few chicks but i dont need anymore animals to take care of. ever.

i have a professional freeranger broody hen on day 8 now anyway.

the hardware store has barred rocks and americanas whcih is what i was looking for anyway. i noticed they also have ducks and bunnies now, the sign says.

I have to admit, that I wanted to pick up a few of the red hens. If I could just pick up about 8 of them, I would be happy. Nothing like some fresh brown eggs. I would put up a small chicken yard for them to roam in, but I would give them something to dig around in too. Like leaves out from in the yard. Then I would throw some cracked corn on top of that so they could dig through that during the day. Maybe some nice straw. You talk about the perfect soil makers mixing all the leaves and chicken manure up and keeping it turned. They love to hunt all day for the little pieces of corn. I want to put up a fence with a top that an animal can't chew through and a one that nothing will want to attempt to attempt after I fix the electrical service up to the outside. So I guess I will need to wait till next year. I am having some plans. I may grab a few Rhode Island Red neckers, some Domineckers, a couple of the black ckickens, a Couple of the buff orhphingtons, and then I'll have my own polital party right in my chicken house. They better get a better order up next year or I'll have to place an order from one of those so called "High Class Poultry House Call Hens to get an order." That way I won't have to put up with any of the BS that comes with trying to get to know everyone at TSC and finding out what they had for supper last night. Just get me my chickens and don't ask me any questions. Just like they do Spitzer. If he can get that kind of service in NY, then why can I not get it at TSC when ordering Chicks? Can someone explain this to me?
Chuckie?

I hesitate to buy them there because they get handled so much and I don't know how stressed they are. And when they get stressed they up and die. I am sure that other stores are better, but at our local branch they don't look well cared for and I can order from a poultry house about one hundred miles away that I trust and have never had issues with. Plus, I know what I am getting.

I saw the sign out front "We have Chicks". Well, you know me. I did a u-turn and went in. It was the same old ugly ladies that are always in there. I asked "so where are the chicks?". They laughed and pointed at the water trough. I left without any chicks. :(

ive never had trouble with TSCs chicks being stressed or dieing on me.ive bee been lucky i hardly ever loose any chicks.but that may change this year who knows.

flaboy":2edjnd6h said:
I saw the sign out front "We have Chicks". Well, you know me. I did a u-turn and went in. It was the same old ugly ladies that are always in there. I asked "so where are the chicks?". They laughed and pointed at the water trough. I left without any chicks. :(

I know that feeling. I was passing by a little clothing store the other day. The sign out front said "all ladie's blouses 1/2 off". I went in and looked. They were lying.

I called TSC in a town nearby just yesterday and after talking to three people the only answer to the question of What breed? was straight run.

Cal

Calman":7erwgmcc said:
I called TSC in a town nearby just yesterday and after talking to three people the only answer to the question of What breed? was straight run.

Cal
well our TSC has pullets.an they will order any breed an number of chicks you want.they say they will order guienies for me in may.but who knows if they will or not when may gets here.

Usually any chicks picked up at TSC love the farm life, know how to work, and are more than likely "keepers".

was at out tsc the other day thay had a couple bunnies but was getting chicks but they said they were mixed.. too bad the girls are grown up and gone from home i could of got a bunny lol moms a push over for critters lol
jane and i are gonna order chicks that way we know what we got.. i have a few ol gals left from about 7 yr.. 7 out of 25 i cant bear to get rid of them.. there the ladies every now and then i still get an egg or two from them i have a few americanas and buff orpingtons and a couple barrocks from last yr... so now i have to get ready for new additions to my flock.. i think the americanas are really pretty chickens they are my favs.. plus its a nice suprize to find a blue egg in the box !! lol Rose

What is an "americanas"? Are they a cross between an Araucana and something else?

yes they are a cross.but i dont remember what they are crossed with.most of the americana are mutts.they arnt the real thing.

I still remember the TSC employees saying that the Mennonites checked the sex of the chicks was by picking the chicks up by slipping their forefinger and thier middle finger under the heads of the chicks and lifting up like a fork and suspending them by their necks with their feet slightly off of the floor. They said the chicks that struggled and fought would be the roosters, and the hens would just relax and let the fet dangle. Just be sure to lift them gently.
Chuckie.

bandit80":32idwiub said:
Usually any chicks picked up at TSC love the farm life, know how to work, and are more than likely "keepers".

I see jail time in some of yall's future. All of the chicks that I've seen in TSC were still in high school, except for the old bat at the cash register.

I be trying to talk my mother in to getting some chicks. I want some laying hens. I mean was raise geese and ducks why not have some hens. Its cheaper to feed them then it is to buy eggs plus I just like having them around. But I think i'm going to have my handes full if all my geese and my four ducks lol. I got two geese laying got 18 eggs in one nest when I checked this evening and they are not done yet and a hen duck setting on 2 plus 4 duck eggs. I wish my geese set as good as the lil duck she will set golf balls. So who else raises geese ?

I"ve only ever seen straight runs also.. at the feed stores around here. I don't think I've seen them at TSC in town. And darn if all that green color doesn't disappear in a few weeks.. :banana:

The last dyed easter chick I saw, the down was coming off in strips so that it appeared to have racing stripes running up and down its body. A lady that I worked with, had given it to her son for Easter around 30 years ago. I was sitting down on her couch, eating a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. This green striped chicken was running around the house like it owned the place. I was trying to tear off a bite of my sandwich and I heard eveyone laughing and then I felt my sandwich shake like I had a large fish caught on a fishing pole. When I got tore loose from the sandwich, I could see that the chicken had jumped up in my lap and was starting in on my sandwich from the other side. He acted like he had been through this before. Maybe someone had knocked him off before, so he gobbled up as much as he could before you pushed him off. But the way they were laughing, I was beginning to doubt it. I just let him eat. He was tearing such large pieces of the sandwich, he was about to choke.
It was pretty funny.
Chuckie

Latest posts