Trying to start out

Help Support CattleToday:

BarMRanch

Reaction score
Hello there, so I am looking to getting some cattle but with prices the way they are and have a small budget "college student" I am unsure if now is the right time. I have the land and equipment so the biggest part is out of the way. A friend and I were looking at spliting say 30 head but once we started looking we realized that was going to be a no go. So my question is: A- Should I wait until prices come down and if so what kind of timeline am I looking at. B- How many number of head would you recommend for someone just starting out. Was wanting to get Brahman, Angus,or Brangus to start out. Get a couple of years under me then maybe get a Hereford and get some Black Baldies thrown. Thanks in advance.

WELCOM , not a real good time to dive right in , but you can get your feet wet. You say you have the land and equipment , that's a good start . If you don't already have fence build one . get yourself all set up and look for some deals , youmay catch a few.

Is your college paid for or are you taking out loans?
If its paid for continue reading... If you have loans stop right now and focus on getting out of college on time with as little debt as possible.

Can you pay cash for the cattle and the expences associated with them?
If yes continue reading... If no... Continue college and save up the cash to start your own herd.

- The only ship that can't stay afloat is a partnership.
- Cattle is a wealthy man's game.... some one with a little net worth built up. As a young person don't tie up too much of your net worth in cattle. Its ok to dib and bad a little bit but there are far better investments out there.

- Cattle is a wealthy man's game.... some one with a little net worth built up. As a young person don't tie up too much of your net worth in cattle. Its ok to dib and bad a little bit but there are far better investments out there.

I totally agree with you. I once had a friend ask me to go in partnership with him and my immediate reply was
"I have a better idea. Let's remain friends instead"

No loan, can pay for in cash and have decided that I will go it alone. Most likely will wait for another year or so but was wanting some opinions on the questions I have listed. Also was wondering if there was anyone here from my area, I am in Lafayette at college. Was wanting to come and see a operation in person and maybe ask some questions. Also if any help is needed would be more than happy to lend a hand. I think I saw a poster from the New Roads area one time which isn't to far from me.

I hope you'll keep this going. I also have land and the equipment will be paid for. All I need to do is finish some fencing which will also be paid for. I won't need to finance a family, just the two of us and we want to stay at home. So I'm interested in reading anything you learn. :compute:

BarMRanch":1wlzw343 said:
No loan, can pay for in cash and have decided that I will go it alone. Most likely will wait for another year or so but was wanting some opinions on the questions I have listed. Also was wondering if there was anyone here from my area, I am in Lafayette at college. Was wanting to come and see a operation in person and maybe ask some questions. Also if any help is needed would be more than happy to lend a hand. I think I saw a poster from the New Roads area one time which isn't to far from me.
BMR, if there is an ag program associated with your school, or a nearby LA University, they may be able to refer you to local cattle operations -- or possibly your state Cattlemen's Assoc. and/or your county's extension agent. There are resources out there; you just need to ferret them out. Good luck! :)

My thoughts would be start with 5 to 10 head . Get the learning curve going. Adjust to the learning curve. Can't sell what you don't have . Prices may be high but so are calf prices. Good luck. rj

Brute 23":3qbw2zql said:
Is your college paid for or are you taking out loans?
If its paid for continue reading... If you have loans stop right now and focus on getting out of college on time with as little debt as possible.

Can you pay cash for the cattle and the expences associated with them?
If yes continue reading... If no... Continue college and save up the cash to start your own herd.

Solid advice right there.^^^

rjbovine":31r8qrdg said:
My thoughts would be start with 5 to 10 head . Get the learning curve going. Adjust to the learning curve. Can't sell what you don't have . Prices may be high but so are calf prices. Good luck. rj

I agree with rj. Cow prices are relative to calf prices. I started with some average sale barn cows and if I had it to do over again I would have started with fewer cows with better genetics. I would have been ahead of the curve improving my herd.

1st thing you need todo is decide what breed of cows you want to raise.then buy 5 or 10 an a bull as suggested.an learn as your herd grows.

buy the best genetics you can afford is a quote you'll see on here on a lot of posts. also i'd say talk to some operations around you make some connections, and try to buy private.

Latest posts