trying to locate pregnacy kit for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I recently read on a website there was a kit that cost $125 and you could test 25 cows for pregnacy..but, it didn't give you a way to buy it. It was some Dr. or something from a university but I really wanted to know if there is a kit available to us average jo's ???? Would really appreciate it if anyone can help me.. :cboy:

I'm waiting for someone to reply to this but I'm having a mental picture of you holding a little stick out while the cow pees, and looking for the red line :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dun don't you turn them inside out and use them twice?

Angus Bullitein has a article in this issue about testing for bred animals. You draw a blood samlpe. 3 day turnaround and I think the cost was about $3.75 a animal with a accuracy of 97%.....I dont think folks that palpate for a living are going to like that. Also they have one in the works were you only need a few drops of blood and it goes on a test, similar to diabetic testing

houstoncutter":3ov4nage said:
Angus Bullitein has a article in this issue about testing for bred animals. You draw a blood samlpe. 3 day turnaround and I think the cost was about $3.75 a animal with a accuracy of 97%.....I dont think folks that palpate for a living are going to like that. Also they have one in the works were you only need a few drops of blood and it goes on a test, similar to diabetic testing
Round here palpating is around $4 and you get the results in seconds + staging.

http://www.biotracking.com/index.php

This test cost about a couple bucks by the time you add it all together. I like having the option of different methods that give you some kind of an advantage. I think the arm will be around for along time yet but won't be relied on as heavily as in previous years.

Crowderfarms":10y6ehxy said:
warpaint":10y6ehxy said:
It would be a lot cheaper to learn to palpate your stock.
Yup, It's called a right Arm.

I seen most guys use their left. ;-)

Vet charges $2.25 I thought it best to use the vet cause he is more experienced. The last group he checked he missed by over 3 months.
Think I'll just do em all myself from now on.

buckaroo_bif":3v15vn8w said:
Crowderfarms":3v15vn8w said:
warpaint":3v15vn8w said:
It would be a lot cheaper to learn to palpate your stock.
Yup, It's called a right Arm.

I seen most guys use their left. ;-)

Vet charges $2.25 I thought it best to use the vet cause he is more experienced. The last group he checked he missed by over 3 months.
Think I'll just do em all myself from now on.

Won't use my left arm, I eat with my left hand> ;-)

I gotta use my right arm and I'm right handed.
Can't feel well with my left hand. :roll:

fishermanswoman":2cj62rd3 said:
I recently read on a website there was a kit that cost $125 and you could test 25 cows for pregnacy..but, it didn't give you a way to buy it. It was some Dr. or something from a university but I really wanted to know if there is a kit available to us average jo's ???? Would really appreciate it if anyone can help me.. :cboy:

I think the name of the poster may say it all.

Lots of bites

Bez!

Watch the cow for about 3 weeks or so. If the bull doesn't ride her she's probably bred. It doesn't cost nothing but your time...

that works fine for 10 cows in a 4 acre pasture when you have nothing else going on but what about 500 head on 60,000 acres. Do you use satellite imagery to watch and see if they are in heat?

Good cattleman check on their cattle twice a day anyway. So it's easy to catch them. Of course with that much acreage it might take all day :lol:

johndeerefarmer":15s2u0eb said:
Good cattleman check on their cattle twice a day anyway. So it's easy to catch them. Of course with that much acreage it might take all day :lol:

Yup - that's why there are 50 - 100 cowboys on every outfit over 300 cows in size.

Sometimes it is tough to check them more than once a month otherwise.

But we all need to be good cattlemen.

Bez!

Latest posts