truck rear end

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new truck. I was on the chevy and dodge web site. Most likely I'll get a heavy 3/4 ton truck with either a 5.7 ot 6.0 gas.
They have many choice's on rear ends. Chevy in 3.73/ 4.10 ratio. Dodge in 3.73/ 4.42/ 4.10. I'm a little in the dark on what to get. 90% on the miles will be just going between farms. I will be hooked on the gooseneck from time to time.

I'm going with an automatic. 6 speed allison on chevy or the 5 speed on the dodge.

Any thoughts?

All of my work trucks have 4.10's, you couldn't give me anything faster. All of them are used for towing/hauling, I keep an old half ton or Bronco around for riding around checking on stuff. If you spend the majority of the time loaded get 4.10's, majority unloaded get 3.73's. There's also lots of hills and mountains around here, local geographics play a part in what you need, too.

If 90% of your time is driving around empty I would definitely go with 3.73's. No sense in having the engine screaming when your just cruising up and down the road.

With a six speed automatic transmission with the tow haul mode, and diesel engine. You can start 20,000 lbs easy, and set the cruise control at 65 M.P.H. you will be doing 2ooo R.P.M.s in 5th gear or if your in the hills keep it in 4th at 2500 and pull it with no problem with 3:73 gears. I can haul 12 to 15,000 lbs. with the cruise set on 78 M.P.H. at 1800 R.P.M. on flat ground and still get over 9 M.P.G. pretty good I think compared to my ford truck that got 7 M.P.G. pulling the same trailer and load with 4:10 gears.

highgrit":3rjzrxgs said:
With a six speed automatic transmission with the tow haul mode, and diesel engine. You can start 20,000 lbs easy, and set the cruise control at 65 M.P.H. you will be doing 2ooo R.P.M.s in 5th gear or if your in the hills keep it in 4th at 2500 and pull it with no problem with 3:73 gears. I can haul 12 to 15,000 lbs. with the cruise set on 78 M.P.H. at 1800 R.P.M. on flat ground and still get over 9 M.P.G. pretty good I think compared to my ford truck that got 7 M.P.G. pulling the same trailer and load with 4:10 gears.
What engine in the FORD?

Mr. Dun, it had a powerstroke, with a 4 speed automatic, engine lasted for 306,000 miles pretty good for me.

highgrit":2y61pf8e said:
Mr. Dun, it had a powerstroke, with a 4 speed automatic, engine lasted for 306,000 miles pretty good for me.
With that kind of mileage you should have had the 460, that's about all it would do. The 7.3 doesn;t usually get THAT bad of mieleage. The 6.4 does though

dun":1hks6x3d said:
highgrit":1hks6x3d said:
With that kind of mileage you should have had the 460, that's about all it would do. The 7.3 doesn;t usually get THAT bad of mieleage. The 6.4 does though

Last 460 I drove got 5 mpg, but that was a company vehicle and I ran the dog doo-doo out of it. When I came back from Georgia a couple years ago, my 96 7.3 PS got 7 mpg. But that was dragging an 8000 lb trailer with a semi chained to the top! It literally is all uphill from GA to VA.

cfpinz":187vt774 said:
dun":187vt774 said:
highgrit":187vt774 said:

Last 460 I drove got 5 mpg, but that was a company vehicle and I ran the dog doo-doo out of it. When I came back from Georgia a couple years ago, my 96 7.3 PS got 7 mpg. But that was dragging an 8000 lb trailer with a semi chained to the top! It literally is all uphill from GA to VA.
The worst thing about that 460 was it got better fuel mielage then oil mileage. When I sold it after 5 years it only had about 20k miles on it. Only vehicle I ever had that I had to carry a case of oil with me at all times. And back then I drove some struff that makes your stuff look factory new.

I think mines has the 373. Gets only 12-13 mph around the farm. Got an even 18 mph interstate driving on the way to Florida. Was really impressed with the way it really handled and drove. Seems to be the second best driving vehicle I've ever owned.

You want to move anything you hook to get 4.xx finals. You want to wear your new cowboy hat down the road get 3.73 finals.

With the 5-6 speed transmissions you can get by with the 3.73s and so forth these days. Years ago the 4 speed transmissions and a 3.54 or 3.73 axle ratio didn't get off the line very well with a heavy load, especially pulling long grades with a heavy load but things have changed since most manufactures are putting 5-6 speeds in their trucks.

Floyd":2m3crjc5 said:
You want to move anything you hook to get 4.xx finals. You want to wear your new cowboy hat down the road get 3.73 finals.
Guess I will need to buy all my truck drivers cowboy hats now on account of all my KW's have 3.55's

Latest posts