Trooper Needs His Butt Kicked

Help Support CattleToday:

The farmer blew 3 tires on his trailer hauling a load of cattle on an interstate highway using a truck that had a bad
transmission. Hopefully a reminder to all to check your tires for weathering and dry rot. It all could have been
prevented with proper equipment maintenance.

I had a calf i just bought break out and was running loose and a deputy happened upon me asked me what he could do to help I told him he did it gladly I called the sheriff told him he needed more like him.

Son of Butch":bl6yolf0 said:
The farmer blew 3 tires on his trailer hauling a load of cattle on an interstate highway using a truck that had a bad
transmission. Hopefully a reminder to all to check your tires for weathering and dry rot. It all could have been

I gotta disagree with you on that I had new trailers pop right psi and not overloaded at all.. I also wish I could look into my crystal ball and see when my trucks were going to have issues... Its easy to Monday morning quarterback but we don't really know his situation so its not up to me to judge. The only judging I will do is that it was handled poorly by the trooper as he forgot protect and serves meaning. :2cents:

Son of Butch":z2rec2rz said:

What's done is done and the situation was there to be handled. The trooper didn't listen to experience, which was a major screw up on his part.

skyhightree1":sa32hsg8 said:
Son of Butch":sa32hsg8 said:

I gotta disagree with you on that I had new trailers pop right psi and not overloaded at all.. I also wish I could look into my crystal ball and see when my trucks were going to have issues... Its easy to Monday morning quarterback but we don't really know his situation so its not up to me to judge. The only judging I will do is that it was handled poorly by the trooper as he forgot protect and serves meaning. :2cents:
when I hauled cattle for the public you didn't carry one spare, you better have at the very least 2.. Those tires get hotter than a match loaded heavy, especially on southern asphalt, where it will boil out of the cracks..the tires came apart like a Chinese watch...got home once thinking all went well looked around my trailer, one tire was still inflated looked like a ball of yarn..I added a extra trans cooler with a push fan I rigged that
I had toggled Under extreme conditions..and it was alway extreme with the public..

ALACOWMAN":2fw8zbwi said:
skyhightree1":2fw8zbwi said:
Son of Butch":2fw8zbwi said:

when I hauled cattle for the public you didn't carry one spare, you better have at the very least 2.. Those tires get hotter than a match loaded heavy, especially on southern asphalt, where it will boil out of the cracks..the tires came apart like a Chinese watch...got home once thinking all went well looked around my trailer, one tire was still inflated looked like a ball of yarn..I added a extra trans cooler with a push fan I rigged that
I had toggled Under extreme conditions..and it was alway extreme with the public..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brute 23":3moq1axz said:
Thats a good sherriff. He has my vote.

Amen. I'd rather he remained calm, but who knows how long he'd tried a rational explanation. Sometimes, you just have to stomp and shout to get it across to folks that know everything. Lots of mistakes made that day, and hopefully the cattlemen learned something, but there was no reason to leave them on the trailer.

Trooper not going to back up traffic for 18 miles to let a few genius cattle handlers make an iffy transfer combined with u-turns and wrong way driving. Cows been out on that stretch of I-16 before and were shot and killed by law enforcement

ga.prime":3uv3pvyp said:
Trooper not going to back up traffic for 18 miles to let a few genius cattle handlers make an iffy transfer combined with u-turns and wrong way driving. Cows been out on that stretch of I-16 before and were shot and killed by law enforcement
Coming from Dixie livestock in Oak Park?

True Grit Farms":1lcorwxp said:
ga.prime":1lcorwxp said:
Don''t know about that one. The one I'm talking about is that buyer that's always at Ashburn and buys more than anybody else and has a holding pen right next to I-16 just north of the Longhorn steakhouse in Laurens Co. and on that side of the interstate who a few years ago had some get out of his pens that had to be shot before somebody got killed. That's a 70 mph highway, can't have cows out there bounding around. The owner of the loose cattle understood the situation and didn't raise any kind of fuss over them being shot and killed.

ga.prime":1c5dvu4y said:
True Grit Farms":1c5dvu4y said:
ga.prime":1c5dvu4y said:
Don''t know about that one. The one I'm talking about is that buyer that's always at Ashburn and buys more than anybody else and has a holding pen right next to I-16 just north of the Longhorn steakhouse in Laurens Co. and on that side of the interstate who a few years ago had some get out of his pens that had to be shot before somebody got killed. That's a 70 mph highway, can't have cows out there bounding around. The owner of the loose cattle understood the situation and didn't raise any kind of fuss over them being shot and killed.

You're referring to Doris Barrett. If you fool with enough cows eventually something is gonna go wrong. Doris has one of the most efficient, well designed, user friendly facilities I've ever seen. But I guess nothing is escape proof.

JMJ Farms":1ofjqm0e said:
ga.prime":1ofjqm0e said:
True Grit Farms":1ofjqm0e said:

You're referring to Doris Barrett. If you fool with enough cows eventually something is gonna go wrong. Doris has one of the most efficient, well designed, user friendly facilities I've ever seen. But I guess nothing is escape proof.
He's sure aged in the 6 months, that man has bought some kind of cows in his lifetime. That wasn't him or one of his trailers in the video.

True Grit Farms":zpc8v6ar said:
JMJ Farms":zpc8v6ar said:
ga.prime":zpc8v6ar said:

He's sure aged in the 6 months, that man has bought some kind of cows in his lifetime. That wasn't him or one of his trailers in the video.

Nope. You're right. Judging by the day of the week, the back tags, and the direction of travel those cattle were most likely coming from Oak Park. 90% of Barrett's cattle are hauled in pots. He has aged a lot. He almost died. Had something going on with his veins in his legs, then got diagnosed with cancer. He's actually much better than he was. Doris came here in the 70s from Tennessee with a 2 ton truck with bodies on the back buying sick pigs and hauling them back, straightening them out, and reselling. Now he's the largest cattle shipper anywhere around these parts. And has the best eye of anyone I've ever been around. Numerous times I've seen them run a yearling in the ring off the scale and Doris would tell them the weight was wrong. They would reweigh the yearling and he'd be right every time. He can guess anything under 700lbs and be within 10-15 lbs every time. Lots of experience I guess. Started with next to nothing and made a heck of a business out of it.

What would I have done with the flats and truck problem. I would have called a mobile tire service to fix the flats if so needed tell them be sure and bring some new tires. I would have called a wrecker service and had the truck and trailer towed to where I was headed after tire repair or called someone and removed broken truck and hooked the good one up. That is the way I would handle it. Trailer tires will deteriorate if not used very often. Also make sure that you are buying trailer tires that have at least a ten ply rating and by quality. And do not put the old tires removed from the truck on the trailer. If they are not good enough for the truck then not good enough for the trailer.

Hook2.0":2qf5e99r said:
ga.prime":2qf5e99r said:
Back the trailer right up to the backside of the other trailer nice and square, and there's no "iffy" about it.
Yes, but that requires driving the wrong way.

Latest posts