Triple D Cheeseburger Soup

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
One of my favorite TV shows .. Diners Drive Ins and Dives
I am going to try this tomorrow ,it is supposed to be really good. But am substituting Velveeta for good ole Canadian sharp cheddar and maybe going to add bacon and deglaze the pan with red or white wine ??? .
Will let you know if it is any good.
The lettuce is throwing me off a bit, but the patrons at the restaurant said it made the soup and so did Guy .. 8)
Wonder if lager or guinness in the stock would be good ? :lol:

Yields: 6 servings
* 1 pound super lean ground beef
* 16 oz chicken stock
* 1 pints half and half
* ½ block of Velveeta, cubed
* 1 large onion, diced
* 3 T. butter
* 2 med tomatoes, chopped
* 2 cups Iceberg lettuce, chopped
* Salt & Pepper to taste
* ¼ cup flour mixed with ¾ cup water (for thickener)

In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sweat onion until translucent, remove. Add ground beef, season with salt & pepper and cook until browned and a bit crispy, drain. (Next time I will make actual patties and grill them to get more of a burger taste) remove from pan.

Add your chicken stock, & flour slurry, bring to boil scrapping bits off the bottom. Add half & half and Velveeta. Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling.

Season to taste and lower heat. Cover and cook for about an 1 hour. Add the tomatoes and lettuce, stir and serve. ENJOY!

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/15 ... rger-soup/

It does look interesting! I like your idea about the sharp cheddar. I grew up in Wisconsin so my life motto is "real cheese makes everything better". :D And replacing part of the stock with Guiness would definately add depth of flavor. You could deglaze with the Guiness, too!

Our favorite show too. not a good thing to watch just before or after dinner. :lol2:

Let us know how it turns out HD.

Making it now, deglazed with lager, no Guinness on hand .
Will let you know how it is when if hubby gets home he is still in Saskatoon.
The storms keep delaying the job, apparently you can not detonate explosives when it is lightening :eek:

No kidding ILH. That is on my bucket list though to travel the states and try all of these amazing diners etc especially the ones that are near the ocean and sea . ;-) I will then have to go to a fat farm for at least a year upon returning home .. :lol2:

HD you watch DDD?? I love it !!!! He goes to some of the neatest places and finds some of the greatest looking food I've ever seen. gotta try this soup. Many thanks.

TexasBred":36ilnk62 said:
hillsdown":36ilnk62 said:
Now what to serve with it ? What about Focaccia Crostinis ?
:???: Got a picture?? :lol2:

TB it really is just a type of bread brushed with olive oil and then baked. You know the old saying "dazzle them with bull shytte" . :tiphat:

http://www.20minutesupperclub.com/recip ... -crostini/

Decided to make Texas cheese bread instead, I know I know there is enough heart clogging cheese already, but the lettuce and maters make up for it ... :lol: :lol2: :help:

Triple D is on for a whole hour tonight in 25 minutes :D

Btw Ac, you are just Baddddddd :p

Finished product

RedDeerCounty-20110715-00408.jpg

That looks so good. YUM!
We shut our satelite off for the summer or the kids would be parked in front of the TV all day.

hillsdown":32y5qsli said:
Decided to make Texas cheese bread instead, I know I know there is enough heart clogging cheese already, but the lettuce and maters make up for it ... :lol: :lol2: :help:
:lol:
I'm gonna try it, thanks for sharing.