Triple Crown

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Well American Pharoah did it fair and square taking on all comers, only horse to run in all 3 races.
Beat the most total horses of any Triple Crown winner since Assault in 1946.

There was a time (in my lifetime even) that this would be the headline news, and this horse would be on every magazine cover in the world.. Not so much anymore--we have Mr. Jenner and the Kardashians. :(

It will be on the headline of the main paper in our area (Louisville, KY). They still love there horses around here.

kjonesel":xmheaqyw said:
It will be on the headline of the main paper in our area (Louisville, KY). They still love there horses around here.

Well, I followed this horse all year, but Thoroughbred racing just doesn't have the public pull it used to when I was young. Heck, even the little town where I grew up here in E. Texas had a Derby Day parade and BBQ when the Kentucky Derby time came. EVERYONE knew what Derby Day was. Maybe I just got old, but I sure miss that kind of excitement. :frowns:

First time I have ever seen a Triple Crown in my life time. I have watched horse racing since I was a kid and always wanted to see a Triple Crown.

wacocowboy":3r6nxos5 said:
First time I have ever seen a Triple Crown in my life time. I have watched horse racing since I was a kid and always wanted to see a Triple Crown.
You must still be a kid. This makes the 4th I've seen. I was born before a couple of the others but too small to remember.

Like Dun this makes four I have seen. Yesterday makes 12 triple crown winners, the first being in 1919. I was going say how rare it must have been to have three triple crown winners in the 70's, but there were four in the 40's and three in the 30's..... Winners seem to run in groups.

This gets posted here every year, but after seeing American Pharoah's great performance yesterday you can only imagine how great this horse was. Triple crown winner in 1973, going after the triple crown in the mile and half Belmont.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4

wacocowboy":aw9ecodv said:
I was fortunate to see Secretariat win the triple crown.....he was a monster.

TexasBred":qutoooq5 said:
wacocowboy":qutoooq5 said:
I was fortunate to see Secretariat win the triple crown.....he was a monster.

He was definitely a man among boys. If American Pharaoh had been in that race he would have come close to tying the record for the race and still lost by 2 seconds which I think would be around 12 lengths. It will be interesting to see if he can sire as good as he is. Many don't.

Before the Belmont the media was reporting the owner would continue running him, "the people's horse" and all. He would be a fool if he did, that horse will have a full stud book every year for the rest of his life. Millions and millions in easy money.

Alan":34iot640 said:
Like Dun this makes four I have seen. Yesterday makes 12 triple crown winners, the first being in 1919. I was going say how rare it must have been to have three triple crown winners in the 70's, but there were four in the 40's and three in the 30's..... Winners seem to run in groups.

This gets posted here every year, but after seeing American Pharoah's great performance yesterday you can only imagine how great this horse was. Triple crown winner in 1973, going after the triple crown in the mile and half Belmont.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ui3Rtjz4
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for posting that.
Can't say Secretariat's s record will never be beat, but it's gonna take a heck of a horse to do it.

Alan, I read this morning, that American Pharoah's worth is now somewhere around $100 million.

I sure would have liked to have seen the result of a mating of Secretariat and Ruffian

dun":2d7id4dl said:
wacocowboy":2d7id4dl said:
You must still be a kid. This makes the 4th I've seen. I was born before a couple of the others but too small to remember.

Yep I am a bit younger than some of y'all I will be 34 in July. I hope I get to see a few more Triple Crowns in my lifetime.

dun":9q4x0v4g said:
I sure would have liked to have seen the result of a mating of Secretariat and Ruffian
More than likely would've been a disappointment, Secretariat never sired as good as he ran.

Pioneer of the Nile (American Pharoah's sire) will really be a hot commodity now.
Pioneer of the Nile was already #3 for registrations in 2013 He finished 2nd in the Kentucky Derby and 11th in Preakness in 2009
His sire Empire Maker (the favorite) was 2nd in Kentucky Derby to Funny Cide, skipped the Preakness (won by Funny Cide)
and won the Belmont in 2003.

Secretariat was that pinnacle every breeder strives for. The ultimate in every aspect. The only way the line could go from there was down and that's exactly what happened. None of his offspring came close to his accomplishments.

TexasBred":1ojt908j said:
Secretariat was that pinnacle every breeder strives for. The ultimate in every aspect. The only way the line could go from there was down and that's exactly what happened. None of his offspring came close to his accomplishments.
There's lots of humans that think the same way about themselves and their accomplishments. Just ask 'em--they'll be glad to tell ya, and there's a couple here at CT--or were.

stir_pot.gif

Considering my present condition/position and meager station in life, there's only one way for my progeny to go--UP.

To think that you could have owned AP for $300,000. They tried to sale the horse but no one wanted him so the owner bought him back. I bet a few horse racing stables are banging their head on a wall.

greybeard":1y30bfax said:
TexasBred":1y30bfax said:
There's lots of humans that think the same way about themselves and their accomplishments. Just ask 'em--they'll be glad to tell ya, and there's a couple here at CT--or were.

stir_pot.gif

Considering my present condition/position and meager station in life, there's only one way for my progeny to go--UP.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: We're hoping for some improvement over the years too.