Trick Question #2

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
How many 4x6 rolls does it take to fill up a 60'x100'x20' barn?

... Don't look :cboy:

Math was never my strong suit. I looked.

Alice

1? I came up wuth 800, I guess that is why I grow cattle instead of build bridges.

auctionboy":80t7f3mb said:
1? I came up wuth 800, I guess that is why I grow cattle instead of build bridges.

You are really close. To figure volume, you need base, width, and height. 4 by 6 is only two of the three dimensions. But since they are 6 foot "round", the round part is 6 by 6.

So you could stick 1 round bale in a 6 by 6 by 4 cube, except that you are putting a circle in a square. Theoretically, you could put 833 bales in that barn. Problem is, when you stack rounds, you can offset them. So the real answer is going to be in the proximity of 1000.

I figure you can get 250 bales in the bottom roll. You can also get 250 bales in the third roll. It is possible to get 240 in the second and fourth rolls. 980?

That hay had better be awful dry or else the whole barn will burn down.

Who puts round bales in barns?

So you put 1 round bale in the barn and it fills with cows? I don't have enough cows to fill a barn that big. I certainly don't have 980 rounds.

So my answer is, I can't fill a barn that big.

backhoeboogie":36ug26mg said:
auctionboy":36ug26mg said:

You are really close. To figure volume, you need base, width, and height. 4 by 6 is only two of the three dimensions. But since they are 6 foot "round", the round part is 6 by 6.

So you could stick 1 round bale in a 6 by 6 by 4 cube, except that you are putting a circle in a square. Theoretically, you could put 833 bales in that barn. Problem is, when you stack rounds, you can offset them. So the real answer is going to be in the proximity of 1000.

I figure you can get 250 bales in the bottom roll. You can also get 250 bales in the third roll. It is possible to get 240 in the second and fourth rolls. 980?

So you put 1 round bale in the barn and it fills with cows? I don't have enough cows to fill a barn that big. I certainly don't have 980 rounds.

After the first paragraph my eyes started to glaze over. :shock: I'll take your world for it, BHB.

Alice

auctionboy wrote:

I think the trick of the question is - if the barn will truely hold 980 bales, then it is not full at 979. One more will make the barn full.

i did some quick figuring an came up with 1100 rolls.an that was off the top of my head.the actual figure would problt ne less.

Its just like the one about how many bricks did it take to finish the great wall of china. Just 1. Just one to FINISH it. ;-) :lol:

Latest posts