trespasers

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi":1mssxhw6 said:
A Farmer worked with the DNR and law enforcement to get all requirements for posting his land to keep, in this case hunters, from trespassing on his land as he had been having a problem with hunters coming over from neighboring land onto his land. This farmer also had various tree stands on his property. One of these trespassing hunters, again trespassed and used this farmers tree stand, and on his way back down the treestand fell and broke his back. This trespassing hunter sued the farmer, and won.....get this, because the farmer had a ladder/steps that went to his tree stand so it was accessible. It was stated the farmer should of removed the ladder/steps and then he would of not of been held responsible.

This is so not right! :shock:

Do what you need to to CYA

I think this is what the Insurance and Legal people call "An Attractive Nuissance". I.e., providing an opportunity or making it easy for someone to get hurt or killed

Thats what iam afraid of is something like that happening to me. Come to find out they are in the process of sueing some one over there kid breaking his arm on someones property. Funny thing is he supposebly broke it on there two fee that wasnt fenced.

I have a sign that says tresspassers will be shot, so I shoot em and dump in the old well.
bif

hfd9341":1gui9w3x said:
Thats what iam afraid of is something like that happening to me. Come to find out they are in the process of sueing some one over there kid breaking his arm on someones property. Funny thing is he supposebly broke it on there two fee that wasnt fenced.

I would recommend going on "offense" with this. Make a report to the sheriff's office and explain your concerns. Police, ofcourse know and uphold the law, but I find that they also have a better understanding of what's "right" than most. What these people are doing isn't "right" and maybe the sheriff dept. will be more than willing to help.

You would think after the trespassers were warned by the Law to stay off, you would be covered.Usaully, once warned, and they repeat trespassing, they can be arrested.If someone were hurt, or worse, the Lawyers always find a way to put the coals to someone.To me it's all frivulous.

In Indiana if you have a no trespassing sign on your property you are not liable. But like others have said theyd find some way to sue you...ridiculous....we had a guy ask permission to go hunting we told him no and then opening morning my grandpa was walking out to the stand and looked up and could just see someone in the tree (still pretty much dark) so he pump his 12 ga and said climb down or fall down and sure enough it was the guy that asked the day before...hes excuse was...i didnt think you would really care!!!!!!!!!

You could just catch them and give them a good spankin! But then again this might get you in trouble also :)

I have a cleaning company and one night we were stripping some floors in a store that was open 24 hours we had an area roped off with that Yellow Police tape. A customer asked if he could go over and get some milk, I told him no it was wet wax. A Few minutes later when I was not looking he crossed the yellow tape to get his milk, fell, said he was hurt. He did not sue me but he did file a claim and my insurance bought him off for a relative small amount. It just seems you can hardly protect yourselves anymore.

hfd...,
Seems like some good advice on this thread. In addition I would send these folks a registered letter recording what has happened and what you expect of them in the future...with a CC to your attorney and the county sheriff...listed on the origional letter.
Can't hurt anything...I don't think.

Well, Dun the way things are today, I could think of a few folks I would love to use the 3 'S' rule for. I have pretty good neighbors, except for the tourists that are seeing cattle, and Llamas for the very first time in their lives, and I do give some leeway for that. but I also have a young man that seems to go where ever, and when ever he pleases, and I have tried to make him fear me. With what amount of succes I have no idea, but that, along with a few signs stating 'Bad bull' I have few problems at the moment.

Hunting season seems to bring out the very worst in some people though, and when we do have problems, it's usually then. I have told a number of them the reason I was telling them to leave was NOT because I don't allow hunting, it's because they did not ask first. Period.

Medic24":32pgl9ri said:
few signs stating 'Bad bull'

I'm not sure about bulls - but I know if you post a sign saying that you have a vicious dog - you have just admited liability for your dog and when your toy poodle bites the mailman you are in big trouble.

you might want to talk to your attorney before you post any signs.

Merry Christmas
:santa:

Thanks for all the help. I dont think i will be using that property after all it just seems to risky. Ill just keep my eyes out another lease theres plenty. Thanks again

Latest posts