Tree ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
can anyone identify this tree? i think i discovered a new species.
Picture_951.jpg

found it. its called "Fevertree". native to georgia, florida, and sc. threatened/endangered.

Uh oh! Hope the Sierra Club doesn't get wind of it! :shock:

Beautiful colors. So whaz up? Big tree, little tree, undergrowth or full light. Are the spots on the flowers an expected event giving it a splotchy fevery look? Good on ya for the find.

grows on the edges only so i'm pretty sure its shade intolerant. grows in wet areas alongside yellow poplar. small tree/large shrub. i think the flowers (if they are flowers) are about to bite to the dust, its been blooming a while. if you notice is like a poinsettia with the pink "leaves" that appear to be flowers but the flowers are actually smaller. it has seed pods similar to that of a popcorn tree but brown. It is a native species though, so thats good news.

Lammie":35cfq9uh said:

Would you believe we are starting a new construction job in Panama City and I have to move some 20 or so endangered plants. I am not sure of the name but I will find out. In a nearby county were I live if you have gophers you have to catch and move them before you build. The Sierra club ( tree huggers ) held up one job I just started recently for over 1 1/2 years due to some wetland issue.

Central Fl Cracker":6zm7t47v said:
Lammie":6zm7t47v said:

Would you believe we are starting a new construction job in Panama City and I have to move some 20 or so endangered plants. I am not sure of the name but I will find out. In a nearby county were I live if you have gophers you have to catch and move them before you build. The Sierra club ( tree huggers ) held up one job I just started recently for over 1 1/2 years due to some wetland issue.
I wonder why they call it a fever plant does it cure a fever or cause one?
Oh I see "sparsely branched. Flowers bisexual, protandrous"

Central Fl Cracker":9e5vzxsu said:
Lammie":9e5vzxsu said:

i'm surprised they even allow that. my dad despises gophers. every time he sees one out in the pasture he runs over to get it and picks it up and carries it to a secret location.

I discovered one of these Pinkneya trees growing in a low-lying ditch by a RR track in Telfair Co. a few years ago. The RR people had no trouble spraying and killing it. But, not before I collected some seeds from it. About the hardest thing I've ever tried to grow. Seeds germinated easy enough, but the little plants simply would not put roots down. The roots stayed only in the top quarter inch of growing medium. I kept a few alive for a couple of years. They got about 6 in. high and died.

i'm going to try my hand at it too. did you keep them real wet?

Beefy, yes I kept them wet for a good long while, then tried letting them dry out some to encourage root extension into the lower reaches of their containers. Nothing worked. A different growing medium could be the answer. I used a typical peat-perlite-vermiculite mix. I still have some seeds in the freezer and may give it another go someday. Good luck with yours. I think if you could successfully propagate this plant you would be into a gold mine. Nobody else is doing it.

probably sposed to have some permit to mess with threatened species? :roll:

i wonder how the root system is on the ones in their natural habitat. it cant be too deep b/c the sites are so moist. i know of 5 different areas with decent stands on the farm. it is a pretty tree this time of year, really sticks out. i'll let you know how they turn out.

Central Fl Cracker":2pj1wyvb said:
I wonder why they call it a fever plant does it cure a fever or cause one?

In earlier days, malaria and other fevers were treated at home with a medicine made from the inner bark of this deciduous, 30-foot-tall, North American native tree, giving it the common name "Fevertree". The tree is also referred to as Pinckneya bractea .The tree is more commonly seen at 15 to 20 feet tall by 15 feet wide as an open-grown landscape tree. The large, dark green leaves, five to eight inches long and three to four inches wide, have a lighter underside and are covered with a light fuzz when young. The clusters of yellowish-green, 2.5-inch-long tubular flowers are made more conspicuous by the cream to bright rose-colored, petal-like sepals, making Fevertree quite spectacular when it is in full bloom in early summer. The brown, spotted, round seed capsules which follow stay on the trees throughout the winter.

ga. prime":3i6x6h64 said:
Beefy, yes I kept them wet for a good long while, then tried letting them dry out some to encourage root extension into the lower reaches of their containers. Nothing worked. A different growing medium could be the answer. I used a typical peat-perlite-vermiculite mix. I still have some seeds in the freezer and may give it another go someday. Good luck with yours. I think if you could successfully propagate this plant you would be into a gold mine. Nobody else is doing it.

we don't have this tree here in England and I have never seen it before, it is lovely looking at the photo... but looked it up and it needs moist acidic soil with light shade.

Latest posts