Treated lumber

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have ran into a situation where my guy that normally mills my logs into fence boards bas busted himself up and is out of commission for atleast 2 months and I need some oak fence boards that are 1x6x16 everyone wants from 16.00-18.00 a piece for them to mill them which seems awefully high when the guy I was dealing with charged me 30 bucks per log. Long story short if I went with 5/4 decking boards that are treated could I paint them?

TennesseeTuxedo":54d8mn5f said:
I'd think you could if you primed them first. Still might not hold up over time.

Thats what I was thinking and worried about because its in the front of my place and the other side is rough cut and painted black. worst case scenario I have a extra roll of hog wire and could maybe just put it up temporarily to keep calves in and take down in a couple months when my normal guy is fixed up but I like to do something once and be done with that project.

If it wasn't in the front of my house I wouldn't care but it is and I know I will here how crazy it looks from my wife all the time.

If the fence is for looks as much as functionality, how about some nice painted continuous fence?

Continuous fence won't work if you intend the fence to function as a windbreak or snowfence.

As far as I'm concerned, steel is the only way to go. I refuse to build any fence out of wood anymore, treated or not.

http://store.cammackranchsupply.com/pro ... 146506.htm

Wow don't know who you talked to but I can buy them all day long for $9 a piece if I need just a few to bundle quantity at $6 a piece and I am about an hour from you. If you are providing the logs you should be able to get them cut for less than $4 a piece. The biggest thing is to remember you have to use white oak as red will rot in no time and whoever cuts them can't cut them out of the core of the log or those boards will separate. Pm me if you need a good source.

Edit
Also you can paint both but they should all dry for at least 6 months and 12 is better. Always use oil or asphalt based paint.

I just bought some pretty good-looking 1x6x16' treated pine boards at the local hardware store for $7.99 each. Those are rough (not planed smooth), so they're a full 1" x 6", not 3/4" x 5-1/2".

And you didn't ask, and feel free to disagree, but when building a board fence I see a lot of people buy 14' lumber, and space their posts at 7'. I buy 16' lumber and space the posts at 5' 4". It costs a little more to build, and takes a little longer, but the fence will look better and stay straighter.

And about painting them, it depends on what type of treating was used. The pressure-treated boards that are commonly available here (typically call Wolmanized, I think that's a brand name) can be painted, but as someone else said, make sure to the them dry first.

Rafter S":3aww4azk said:
I just bought some pretty good-looking 1x6x16' treated pine boards at the local hardware store for $7.99 each. Those are rough (not planed smooth), so they're a full 1" x 6", not 3/4" x 5-1/2".

And you didn't ask, and feel free to disagree, but when building a board fence I see a lot of people buy 14' lumber, and space their posts at 7'. I buy 16' lumber and space the posts at 5' 4". It costs a little more to build, and takes a little longer, but the fence will look better and stay straighter.

And about painting them, it depends on what type of treating was used. The pressure-treated boards that are commonly available here (typically call Wolmanized, I think that's a brand name) can be painted, but as someone else said, make sure to the them dry first.

I built mine with 16' boards and a post ever 8' is what I do right wrong or whatever thats how I did it lol I run a hot wire on the back side of the fence too.

skyhightree1":3h2e9gvx said:
could I paint them?

You could, but you never ever should. :nod:
A water sealer or a transparent stain is much less maintenance.
I have over 100 gallons of this (free) from a county "hazardous waste dump".

Stocker Steve":rcwrz9sz said:
skyhightree1":rcwrz9sz said:
could I paint them?

True but it wouldnt match my barn and sheds color lol

Stocker Steve":3g7zwpru said:
skyhightree1":3g7zwpru said:
could I paint them?

true but the color wouldnt match my barn and sheds :lol2:

Latest posts