Treasures for kids

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
My daughter came down for a visit over the weekend. She brought her boy friend and his two daughters (10 and 8) with her. These are Western Washington city girls. They arrived Friday around noon and left this morning. On Friday afternoon they decided to pan for gold. They went down to the river bank and dug a couple gallons dirt. Set up a water trough in the yard and they went to panning. They found a couple of flakes that they thought were gold. The next day we went to Sumpter to tour the old gold dretch. There at the park they have a place set up to teach people how to pan for gold. Their sample is salted with gold so everyone finds some. They sell a vial with 3 flakes for $2. I bought each of the girls a vial. One of the experts looked at what they panned here and said one of the flakes was gold.
On Friday evening they wanted to drive up the canyon to look for deer and maybe find a rattlesnake. We ended up getting 4 snakes. Two were little button rattlers but two had five rattles. I killed all 4 and cut the rattles off the 2 so each girl had a snake rattle. They kept count of everything we saw that night. 14 deer, 4 rattlers, 3 turkeys, 6 bull snakes, and 1 duck. They wanted to go again last night. We only got one snake but saw 24 deer including one dandy buck (important to me and daughter) and 4 new fawns (important to the girls).
They panned for gold. Watched rattlesnakes get killed. Got to ride up the hills on quads. Shot BB guns. Pretty high adventure for a couple of city girls.

Dave said:
My daughter came down for a visit over the weekend. She brought her boy friend and his two daughters (10 and 8) with her. These are Western Washington city girls. They arrived Friday around noon and left this morning. On Friday afternoon they decided to pan for gold. They went down to the river bank and dug a couple gallons dirt. Set up a water trough in the yard and they went to panning. They found a couple of flakes that they thought were gold. The next day we went to Sumpter to tour the old gold dretch. There at the park they have a place set up to teach people how to pan for gold. Their sample is salted with gold so everyone finds some. They sell a vial with 3 flakes for $2. I bought each of the girls a vial. One of the experts looked at what they panned here and said one of the flakes was gold.
On Friday evening they wanted to drive up the canyon to look for deer and maybe find a rattlesnake. We ended up getting 4 snakes. Two were little button rattlers but two had five rattles. I killed all 4 and cut the rattles off the 2 so each girl had a snake rattle. They kept count of everything we saw that night. 14 deer, 4 rattlers, 3 turkeys, 6 bull snakes, and 1 duck. They wanted to go again last night. We only got one snake but saw 24 deer including one dandy buck (important to me and daughter) and 4 new fawns (important to the girls).
They panned for gold. Watched rattlesnakes get killed. Got to ride up the hills on quads. Shot BB guns. Pretty high adventure for a couple of city girls.

With all the :bs: going on this board here lately, this is one of the best things I have read on here in some time. I appreciate you sharing. Brought a smile to my face. Thanks again.

That sounds like fun, but I don't want to live anywhere where I can find snakes that easily.

Bless you, Dave. That will stick with them forever. Every kid deserves someone that will take them out and show them stuff like that.

Buck Randall said:
That sounds like fun, but I don't want to live anywhere where I can find snakes that easily.

I had never killed 2 in the same day before. Barely 2 in the same week. It was a banner day. I only killed 5 all last summer and I kill everyone I see. I have driven up that canyon lots and lots of times and never seen a single one. They got pretty excited every time we got one. Their dad and my daughter had to control them until I got the head cut off and buried.

Great post and I'm sure the girls will never forget that experience. Thanks for sharing.