Trailer wiring question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I drug the plug off of my little slant load last week. I think I was over near Jed and AC when it happened :roll:

Anyway, I bought a plug, and wired it like the picture shows. Nothing is as it should be now. Only lights I have, is when I hit the brakes. Then only the chicken lights come on. I don't have a test light with me. Just a screw driver, and a can do attitude :D

Anybody got a suggestion?

BF trial and error is the only choice you have without a test light . take the cover off the plug and remove the wires (print this diagram for reference. find parking light by touching post with a wire should be the brown wire. remove plug and attach wire and start looking for the others . slow tedious process and will frustrate you without a test light. it can help if you look at have a good idea of where the colored wires go

I don't have any fuses with me (besides the one or two docked in the fuse box). I was hesitant to do trial and error, but it's looking like my only choice. Thanks for the help.

The picture is the way it should be, who knows if it was that way to begin with as I have seen some messes before. If you are on the road may just have to buy a cheap test light.

if you have some tape and a marker buld and 2 strips of wire you can build a test light. take a piece of wire strip about 2" then roll it in a coil (like the eye on a stove) take the other piece and strip 2" and wrap it around the silver body of the bulb this is the ground side. put the coiled piece on the bottom of the bulb making sure it does not touch the ground part of the bulb and tape it all up. wala test light

Finally got it. Evidently, wire color for trailers is more of a suggestion, than a standardized code. IDK. Nothing else would explain it.

Bigfoot":1ks1i2qn said:
Finally got it. Evidently, wire color for trailers is more of a suggestion, than a standardized code. IDK. Nothing else would explain it.
Probably just used what ever they had.