Trailer Weight Limit

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
I know I'm going to get really beat on for asking this question but here goes anyway:
If your stock trailer has two 4500# axles that is a total of 9000# capacity. How much OVER that 9000# could you haul and still be safe? I'm talking about on a straight highway haul, no rough back roads, creek crossings, etc.

BB

The first thing you have to do is check your tires for their capacity. You also have to subtract the weight of the trailer itself from the axle/tire rating just to get to the recommended maximum load.

im gonna guess that your trailer would weigh 2000lbs.so thats 7000lbs the trailer can haul.so thats 6 cows or 14 calves at 500lbs.

Not enough info.

DOT would assume 0 (zero) pounds over would still be safe. That's the criteria I would use.

Bullbuyer":2yxdtqi0 said:
I know I'm going to get really beat on for asking this question but here goes anyway:
If your stock trailer has two 4500# axles that is a total of 9000# capacity. How much OVER that 9000# could you haul and still be safe? I'm talking about on a straight highway haul, no rough back roads, creek crossings, etc.

BB

Our stock trailer has 2 5500 lb axels on it, 11,000 pounds. Don't know how much the trailer weighs, but I have hauled 10, 12-1300 pound cows on it many a times. 18 650 lb calves also. I have never had a problem with tires, axles, etc.

But to be "legal", 0 lbs over.

This trailer in particular is 18 foot gooseneck. The reason I am asking is that a load I need to move in a few weeks, combined with the trailer will probably be around 2500# over the weight rating for the axles. My concern is whether or not I would damage the axles as I know the tires could easily handle it.

I wouldn't think twice about it. There are safety factors built in plus some of the tongue weight is going to be carried by your truck. Just make sure you have enough truck to stop it.

So how many of Chowder's wimmen are you planning to haul?

As a general rule of thumb, you can haul the weight capacity + 50% more. Don't forget to factor in the weight of the trailer...

As to it being "safe", the DOT will not think it is.

Bullbuyer":16q2qtlh said:
I'm talking about on a straight highway haul, no rough back roads, creek crossings, etc.

BB

I know you're yanking our chains, there's no such thing in West Virginia!

cfpinz":2hyi6e9n said:
Bullbuyer":2hyi6e9n said:
I'm talking about on a straight highway haul, no rough back roads, creek crossings, etc.

BB

I know you're yanking our chains, there's no such thing in West Virginia!

GOTCHA! This is a haul in Virginia - 14 steers that should average around 625. The total haul shouldn't be over 40 or so miles. The truck is a F350 pickup, no problem with it handling the load and the brakes are all in good shape.

Red Bull Breeder":23n09z0y said:
Just guessing but i would say if you get them all in there you will be lucky.

I've got a 20x7, had 19 6wts on it Monday. I've had 20 6wts on it before, never again. 18 is about the perfect load, tight enough they don't move and less chance of a downer.

Red Bull Breeder":2nedfabo said:
What size is your trailer? Never weighed one just loaded all i could get in it and went.
This is wrong, please do not do this. Dont mean to pick on YOU Red Bull, but this is exactly why DOT is cracking down and more regs are being put in place.I have it happen almost every day, someone will pull out in front of me with an overloaded truck, be it hay, equipment or cattle,and then pokea$$ down the road either because they cant get to highway speed or they dont have the brakes to safely stop. I weigh 80,000 lbs, it takes me over 200 yds to stop at 55mph,if I loaded all I could get in my trailer, I could easily gross 120,000 lbs. Being able to bragg about what your cummins, powerstroke, or duramax can pull wont be very much fun from a wheelchair, IF YOUR LUCKY. Sorry if that seems harsh, just wanted to add a little different perspective, when there is a fatality/or personal injury accident, no one wins. I do my best to drive safely, please do yours.

Don't get me wrong - safety is always a priority with us! I just hate to make a return trip when I might just be a ton or so over. I know the brakes are fine and this truck is easily heavy enough to handle it. I will post after the trip to let everyone know how far off my weight estimate was - sometimes my eyes don't work as good as they should!

Newrancher i have hauled logs, hogs. cattle and bulldozers all over the mountians in north west Arkansas.I have seen a 100000 plus a little a few times i can take care of it. You live where i do you don't make any more trips than you have to.

Cfpinz i wonder if his trailer is 7 wide. if not they will be tight.

Bullbuyer, I think that you will be fine if you use good judgement, there is a cushion in those factory ratings. Just asking the question proves that safety concerns you. I certainly understand about making more trips than necessary. The point I was trying to make Red bull, was to not ask your equipment to do something it wasnt designed to do. Being grossly overloaded puts more stress on every single component in your "system", it affects your acceleration , your stopping distance, and your fuel consumption. Mechanical things fail, normally at the worst possible time.

The trailer is just 6' and a few inches - not sure of the exact measurements but I know for sure that they will fit - just concerned about the weight. I drove the route yesterday, didn't mean too, just happened to be going that way. The road has only a few little humps - no hills, and I think there was only a couple of intersections with stop signs. I just hate making two trips, the steers you leave behind are already worked up and when you get back to get them, they'll be a lot more difficult to load - I'd just prefer to load them all at one time and head down the road.

We've hauled 10 7weights in a 14X6 pull trailer and still had room for about another 1/2 to 3/4 calf.

If you tires are rated at 2250 each or more, you can have 9000 pounds on the trailer axles.

If you axles are place correctly, 20% - 25% should be on the hitch. That would give you a 1800 - 2250 pound hitch weight.

Split the difference and you should be able to have a 11,000 pound trailer and not exceed any weight ratings.

Latest posts