• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trailer tires ?

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
What brand trailer tires are best? Iam looking for some to put on a 24' gooseneck trailer that has 7000# axles. I need a minimum of 10 ply. It has 235-85-16 on it now and they are Carlisle brand. They haven't been very good tires.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
duravis radials....run em on the dump trlr..theyre super good tires unless ya wanna go 17.5 then ya can get some indestructible tires

Aaron

Reaction score
3/4 or 1 ton truck tires. BFG, Firestone, GY take your pick. All trailer rated tires are junk. Peace of mind comes with a price.

RanchMan90

Reaction score
14 ply gladiators have been good to me. The steel belted sidewall really helps on a triple axle. Mine are 7.50 16s, same basic dimensions as the 235 /85

Nesikep

Reaction score
I have some chinese Sailun 14 ply trailer tires.. they've been excellent... steel belts on sidewall = no sidewall bulge, which is very important on the gravel roads

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I run a Chinese tire, that is good for the money. A Wanlee. I also recommend a trailer tire not a truck tire. Truck tire is fine for a short haul. If your going the distance , a truck tire will leave you walking.

pricefarm

Reaction score
Bigfoot":31gi3vgn said:
I run a Chinese tire, that is good for the money. A Wanlee. I also recommend a trailer tire not a truck tire. Truck tire is fine for a short haul. If your going the distance , a truck tire will leave you walking.

Why do u say that? Been reading online and some think truck tires are better some say trailer tires are.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
pricefarm":wzkkxwb9 said:
Bigfoot":wzkkxwb9 said:

Why do u say that? Been reading online and some think truck tires are better some say trailer tires are.

Side wall construction is the main thing. Traioer tire sidewall is designed for a load. It's not quit so obvious, until you put a trailer tire on one axle, and a truck tire on one near it. The truck tire looks like it'd get hot in due time. Just my opinion.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
pricefarm":3kqro3vl said:
That makes sense thanks Bigfoot

Probably not an issue on a run too and fro to the stockyard. Might be an issue if you ever went a long distance. I run literally anything that will fit my cow trailer. It doesn't go far. My horse trailer, I run ST tires on.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
pricefarm":t03as1f9 said:
What brand trailer tires are best? Iam looking for some to put on a 24' gooseneck trailer that has 7000# axles. I need a minimum of 10 ply. It has 235-85-16 on it now and they are Carlisle brand. They haven't been very good tires.

I'm honestly not one to bash a brand. I set out from western Kentucky to Fayetteville Tn. Once on 3 brand new Carlisle truck tires, and one 5 or 6 year old Michelin trailer tire. I blew all 3 Carlisle tires, and was carrying 2 spare tires. I was in good shape till I lost the 3rd. I didn't pursue it with the tire dealer, because they were truck tires on a trailer. Trailer only had 11 600 pound heifers on it. Shouldn't have been a problem for any 10 ply tire.

MoCrackerCowboy

Reaction score
Go with a 14 ply radial trailer tire you won't regret it
Wanli, Hankook, sailun or if you want to spend the money Michelin also makes one
The Hankooks are a few more $$$ than the other two
Have ran them for yrs and wouldn't run anything else

pricefarm

Reaction score
Bigfoot":32oqpcsf said:
pricefarm":32oqpcsf said:

I'm honestly not one to bash a brand. I set out from western Kentucky to Fayetteville Tn. Once on 3 brand new Carlisle truck tires, and one 5 or 6 year old Michelin trailer tire. I blew all 3 Carlisle tires, and was carrying 2 spare tires. I was in good shape till I lost the 3rd. I didn't pursue it with the tire dealer, because they were truck tires on a trailer. Trailer only had 11 600 pound heifers on it. Shouldn't have been a problem for any 10 ply tire.

Well there trailer tires are not any better over the summer I blow 2 out of 4 of mine. That was with 14 roll of hay on the trailer 4x5 rolls.

Margonme

Reaction score
Bigfoot":4ojpxry6 said:
pricefarm":4ojpxry6 said:
Bigfoot":4ojpxry6 said:

Side wall construction is the main thing. Traioer tire sidewall is designed for a load. It's not quit so obvious, until you put a trailer tire on one axle, and a truck tire on one near it. The truck tire looks like it'd get hot in due time. Just my opinion.

I have no personal knowledge but I ask a trailer sales company whether I should use trailer tires or truck tires. They said about what you said and they added that the contour of a trailer tire is different. It sets on a different profile because it is pulled. I am just attempting to repeat what they told me. IDK. But I think based on what they said, that I will replace my trailer tires with high quality trailer tires.

cfpinz

Reaction score
pricefarm":16cjntyh said:
Bigfoot":16cjntyh said:
pricefarm":16cjntyh said:

Well there trailer tires are not any better over the summer I blow 2 out of 4 of mine. That was with 14 roll of hay on the trailer 4x5 rolls.

Carlisle tires are the worst tires out there, truck or trailer. I had 5 of 8 with belt separations on my flatbed trailer last year, two of which blew. All had over 50% tread left and Carlisle wouldn't back them. My pickup developed the death wobble with a set of Carlisle's on it this fall, some new BFG's and it's not doing it for the moment.

FWIW, I use BFG Commercial truck tires on my trailers now with zero complaints.

saltbranch

Reaction score
MoCrackerCowboy":124wzno3 said:
Go with a 14 ply radial trailer tire you won't regret it
Wanli, Hankook, sailun or if you want to spend the money Michelin also makes one
The Hankooks are a few more $$$ than the other two
Have ran them for yrs and wouldn't run anything else

^^^ this. I ran the 14 plys in various brands on my 40' GN trailers hotshotting in the oilfield for years, vast improvement over 10 plys. I liked the Hankooks, mainly because I got a good deal on them. When my trailers with 7k axles need new tires, I change them over to 14 ply's.

Nesikep

Reaction score
On the radial 10 ply tires my trailer came with, EVERY SINGLE TIME I took it out, it had a flat.. I live on a gravel road, and the gravel would work its way right through the tread..

This old chevy truck is crowding the 4 ton mark... (4400kg/10,000 lb empty when it had the stock rack)... trailer tires don't even feel it

kerley

Reaction score
I have 235/85x16 Uniroyals on my Horse Trailer. The Trailer has maybe 6k on it since bought new. One day I drove my Tractor near the Trailer and noticed what looked like a Squirrel sitting on top of one tire, I thought that was strange. Later when I passed by the Squirrel was still there, so I took a closer look. The Squirrel I saw was the steel belts of a blown out tire. The tire blew out while parked and empty. I called Uniroyal and they said they do not warranty their Trailer Tires

hurleyjd

Reaction score
kerley":2a1xxz4a said:
I have 235/85x16 Uniroyals on my Horse Trailer. The Trailer has maybe 6k on it since bought new. One day I drove my Tractor near the Trailer and noticed what looked like a Squirrel sitting on top of one tire, I thought that was strange. Later when I passed by the Squirrel was still there, so I took a closer look. The Squirrel I saw was the steel belts of a blown out tire. The tire blew out while parked and empty. I called Uniroyal and they said they do not warranty their Trailer Tires
Trailer tires will fail just setting no matter the miles. Had it happen a lot. Tires get old and rotten.

DLD

Reaction score
I pull a 24' stock trailer a minimum of 200 miles a week, some weeks 3 times that. I've never run 14 plies, but I think the Carlisle's that have come on every trailer I've ever bought new are 12 ply (load range F). On the trailers I run that kind of miles those tires seem to last around 2 years. I've always replaced them with good quality 10 ply LT's. They last about 2 years, too. The tread is always good, but it seems to me like there's often a little discoloration in the sidewalls when they're about to fail. Inevitably if I keep running them after I start seeing that, I'll have a blowout (or 2 or 3) in a couple of weeks.

Something I've always thought about is that ST tires are usually rated at a maximum speed of 65 mph, while the LT's are rated for 80+. I usually don't run over 65 loaded anyway, but a good chunk of my miles are interstate and I do run 70-75 empty sometimes. Some of those Carlisle's have failed running empty and fast down the interstate.

I think a few of the ST's - maybe the Goodyears, are rated for 75 mph. I may give them a try on my aluminum next time.