Trailer Mats?

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
We just purchased a 20' Featherlite 8127 livestock trailer with the ridged, non-slip aluminum floor and used it this weekend for the first time. A friend suggested that although the floor is supposed to be non-slip, we should still put rubber mats down. What's everyone's opinion on adding rubber mats to this trailer? For those who do use mats, do you put some sort of bedding on top of the mat, or do the livestock just stand on the mat?
All comments/opinions are appreciated!
Thanks.

I have a 20' Cherokee with the non slip floors but I did get trailer mats. I like them, work great. I do put shavings down on long trips, not much just enough to soak up urine which helps with the slippage issue. Easy to clean and I expect make a more comfortable ride for the critters.

Got a Featherlight like you're talking about. I bought one mat for the back so the cows won't spin a wheel when they get off. The rest just gets a couple bales of hay. And I let the wife clean it out every now and then.

cfpinz

Have an 18' Sundowner.Bought three 4'X6' stall mats and use them.Not much way a cow can't have at least two feet on them.They will crowd up from time to time.Do Not make the same mistake I did and put the rough side up thinking it would be better for cattle.If ice forms between the slick side and the floor , you will have cows and mats sliding out before you finish closing gate :dunce:

I bought a 20' Featherlite last year, and got the rubber mats thrown in with the trailer. They work great! I put shavings on top because believe it or not, a cow will load into the trailer with the light color flooring better than the black flooring. They don't have good depth perception, so they think they're stepping into a hole.

Mats

Nothing worse than watching an animal go down on their knees, or having their legs cut up on panels because of a wet floor.

TheBullLady":bt4ikstx said:
I bought a 20' Featherlite last year, and got the rubber mats thrown in with the trailer. They work great! I put shavings on top because believe it or not, a cow will load into the trailer with the light color flooring better than the black flooring. They don't have good depth perception, so they think they're stepping into a hole.
good idea thanks

We also have a Featherlite 5th wheel and installed floor mats.When we haul we add straw.

The Bachelor":3vi6j6uj said:
I've always just used cattle panels.... they're alot cheaper
These work good for cows, but not good for horses with shoes. Seen shoes get caught just right, horse takes a step, and shoe gets pulled off.

Latest posts