Trailer lights

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I hate them.
Last week pulled the cattle trailer everything was fine.
Hooked up this morning for a replacement sale.
Trailer brakes are locked up, I unplugged the trailer brakes unlocked.
Plugged them back in now the left tail light is burning along with the left brake light.
I unhooked and hooked up to
two other trailers and lights work fine.
I am confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar on what is feeding what.

Caustic Burno":2vxqxvsc said:
I hate them.
Last week pulled the cattle trailer everything was fine.
Hooked up this morning for a replacement sale.
Trailer brakes are locked up, I unplugged the trailer brakes unlocked.
Plugged them back in now the left tail light is burning along with the left brake light.
I unhooked and hooked up to
two other trailers and lights work fine.
I am confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar on what is feeding what.

That is a funny line.

Yep. They are a PITA.

Some things could be greatly improved:

Truck to Trailer Interface

Toilet Float and fill hardware - I have yet to find one that works well.

Transfer Tank Manual pumps - mine never works when it is below 20 degrees. The contraction of the pump cylinder does not form a vacuum. I have to take it apart and put Vaseline on the cylinder wall to get diesel into the tractor.

You would think somethings could be improved and the patents would make you wealthy.

M-5":1hasnttf said:
Caustic Burno":1hasnttf said:
It's a ground problem, I am fixing to do away with these six pin trailer plugs and convert everything here to 7 blade RV.
99% of the time it's a ground . Run a dedicated ground to every light .

I agree. I rewired my trailer a couple years ago and ran a ground wire to each light instead of grounding to trailer. I haven't had any problems since

Just buy good led lights and a 100' extension cord and plug end . Throw the wires from the kits away. Use heat shrink connectors and do it right the first time and you will not have to worry about it again .

Agree that when multiple funnies occur, expect the thing in common.....ground......adequate one missing.

Caustic Burno":rvozpty1 said:
That was the reason I was thinking RV plug it is grounded. It comes on all the trucks now wired from the factory.

The 6 way round plugs are grounded also, it's the large pin in the 2 or 10 o'clock position from memory - white wire. The 7 way flats give me too much trouble, I've gotten to the point I cut them off as soon as I buy a truck or trailer and replace them with the old 6 way rounds.

callmefence":3prgm1tw said:
I've just gave up and run around without any trailer lights. I've got lights up on my headache rack that are generally visible.... :hide:

You have to know what you're working with around my place. We have a truck that stays hooked to the little mower trailer because the trailer lights work fine, but none on the truck. ;-)

I am becoming a fan of the removable magnetic light kits. rats don't chew on the wire and they don't get rained on I just keep em in the tool box and they work on anybody's trailer! does not fix the trailer brakes though.

Finally found the problem factory wiring harness is cracked . The plug that connects to the 7 pin RV is split.
Calling Ford this should still be covered by warranty truck is only 17 years old.
Ordered a new one.

Many trailers just have poor quality wiring from the start. After a certain amount of use and time it is just easier to have a shop rewire the entire thing. Lights don't bother me as much as brakes do. Not fun rolling up into town towing 20k and you can't stop cause your trailer brake wiring is crap. Been there done that. Never again.

Latest posts