Trailer floor boards starting to rot?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmaker

Reaction score
I have a Stoll trailer with 2inch thick oak boards and two of the boards are starting to rot on the ends where the wood sits on the metal frame. The cattle are starting to chip the wood and it is spongy.

Has anyone replaced flooring on one of these trailers?
How often can I expect the oak floor to last? Based on your experience?
Will I have to remove every board or can only the rotten boards be replaced?

The trailer is only 3years old. It's used on a monthly basis to haul 2-6head and power washed after each use.
The wood was treated (on the surface) with a deck sealer upon purchase. (The wood is starting to rot on the bottom).
It is parked outside in the elements, but I am still surprised that the oak has got rotten so fast.

I use treated pine and get much more time out of it. Flat bed too.

When I change oil, it is mixed with a little diesel and mopped onto the floor of one of the trailers. If it has rained or it the floor is wet, the oil is held back until later. Dad always mopped his trailers with used oil. He had a 5 gallon bucket with a mop dedicated to it. When the wood is dry, it will soak the oil in no time. The stock trailers have rubber matts that have to be pulled before the oil is put down.

You may have only had one or two boards that were poor quality to begin with. Trialer manufacturers cut cost in every way. Cheap tires are especially frustrating. First thing I do is haul it to the tire store and take those new junk tires off. My guess is they probably used bargain lumber to compete.

You can just take out the rotten boards and replace them. Also do as boogie said and soak those boards good with the oil.

Thanks for the responses. I have some oil just for that purpose, because the deck stain did not last very long.
I will replace these rotten boards with some pine.

There was a lady telling me last week that her husband had treated their floor and walls with water seal in lieu of using pressure treated lumber. That (name brand omitted) water seal is not much different than waxing your car. It is a wax that does not last very long at all. Great stuff if you are putting decking on a roof and need to preclude rain damage and such on the short term. Putting it on a trailer every six months is not a cost effective option. Especially if you live in a hot sunny place like I do.

Look for a sawmill that cuts used telephone poles and bridge timbers into planks. I have had good luck using this type of wood for trailer flooring. Be sure to know the thickness of the boards you are going to replace, you can get them cut to whatever thickness and width you need.

Latest posts