Tragic

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I called neighbor yesterday morning to discuss water in the irrigation ditch. He told me that he got called out on a search and rescue Saturday that didn't turn out good. A mid 30's ranch lady from up at Hereford who I had met a time or two at brandings but was a good friend of his, had gone to take salt out to the cows. Apparently there was a tree across the two track road. So she rode her quad up the hill around it. Rolled the quad over killing her. Levi said that could happen to any of us. He repeated that several times. I got to thinking. How many salt blocks did she have. Pretty easy to make the quad top heavy. I have been to too many funerals this year. A healthy, happy, beautiful young lady gone way too soon. Stay safe out there everyone.

Very sad. I know two different people who flipped their quad and both came away with a badly broken leg. They are top heavy and narrow.

There's a lot of sad news out there. Yesterday my sister told me about a young woman who found out she had cancer and was pregnant on the same day. She wasn't able to take chemo treatments because of the baby. She passed away two days after the baby was born (very premature). That's got to be rough on her husband.

There's a lot of sad news out there. Yesterday my sister told me about a young woman who found out she had cancer and was pregnant on the same day. She wasn't able to take chemo treatments because of the baby. She passed away two days after the baby was born (very premature). That's got to be rough on her husband.
My wife's sister, was laying in the hospital bed dying with cancer awaiting chemo, when they told her she was pregnant. She was in her 60's

She still had her sense of humor! Loved that gal.

@Dave I'm sorry to hear about your friend.
Everyone be careful.

I got lucky when I turn our four wheeler over, it could have been whole lot worse. I still hurt where I landed on my left shoulder. Pretty sure I have a fracture or some cracked ribs.

sorry about your friend.

Very sad to hear that Dave. 99.9% of the time we are safe on the 4 wheelers, it is that .1% of the time fueled by a bit of adrenalin or urgency we push the limits a bit. It is those times we have to take a deep breath and just have another think about it.

Ken

Reading a little between the lines of what the neighbor told me and what I knew. She just got married last September. The husband is not a rancher. A couple of the guys were giving him a hard time at a branding this spring. She was roping and he wasn't. I think that he got home from his day job which would be a long commute to that ranch no matter where he is working. She was gone out doing ranch chores. When she didn't come in he looked for her but didn't find her before dark or in the dark. Search and rescue was called in the next morning. I wonder how much salt she was carrying. All 130 pounds of her. Three blocks of salt doubles the weight. Six blocks triple the weight. Big difference in how stable the quad would be with the added weight

Very sad to hear that Dave. 99.9% of the time we are safe on the 4 wheelers, it is that .1% of the time fueled by a bit of adrenalin or urgency we push the limits a bit. It is those times we have to take a deep breath and just have another think about it.

Ken
One advantage I feel that I have is I never owned a quad until I was 60. I am not terribly over comfortable dashing around on them. I see some guys around here dashing around on them in places I wouldn't dream of going.

I called neighbor yesterday morning to discuss water in the irrigation ditch. He told me that he got called out on a search and rescue Saturday that didn't turn out good. A mid 30's ranch lady from up at Hereford who I had met a time or two at brandings but was a good friend of his, had gone to take salt out to the cows. Apparently there was a tree across the two track road. So she rode her quad up the hill around it. Rolled the quad over killing her. Levi said that could happen to any of us. He repeated that several times. I got to thinking. How many salt blocks did she have. Pretty easy to make the quad top heavy. I have been to too many funerals this year. A healthy, happy, beautiful young lady gone way too soon. Stay safe out there everyone.
Yes tragic. Harold Gorter a man I'd worked with since the 1970's. Was driving his antique tractor home from a show last Saturday and was killed when a man plowed into him from behind. This was on a wide open road from Otley Iowa to Pella Iowa. Harold was 72 and had a long hospital stay with covid last year. He worked at Vermeer for 45 years. He was in charge of the AG Service and fixed equipment around the world. One of the reason's Vermeer equipment was kept running. RIP Harold Gorter

I have seen this happen way too many times. I am not big fan of quads for this exact reason. I prefer the side x side myself. Back in the old days they made the 3-wheeler style. Those were a death trap waiting to happen. There is a reason they don't sell those anymore

My brother was killed on a three wheeler when he was 17. I rode one a couple times and I never liked them.

It appears that my poor hearing has caught up with me. I thought the neighbor said Cassie was killed. It turns out it was Kathy. Kathy, Cassie. They sound very similar. Kathy I didn't know and she is 66. Not mid 30's that Cassie is. Same last name from the same tiny ranch community. I would be pretty certain that they are related somehow. Mother, aunt???? So I got the wrong person but no less tragic.

That is OK. You are not the only one with an hearing problem. I remember helping a neighbor move bulls and if you have ever
done that you know they will fight when and if the wrong bull gets ahead of another. Take it from me, using a quad to break up
fighting bulls is not a good idea. Thankfully there were other people around to run interference.

It appears that my poor hearing has caught up with me. I thought the neighbor said Cassie was killed. It turns out it was Kathy. Kathy, Cassie. They sound very similar. Kathy I didn't know and she is 66. Not mid 30's that Cassie is. Same last name from the same tiny ranch community. I would be pretty certain that they are related somehow. Mother, aunt???? So I got the wrong person but no less tragic.
People on the other end of the phone call me Cassie all the time. My dialect when I tell her my name might have something to do with her hearing.🤣

I still feel safer on something with hooves than I do on most of the supercharged little rockets they keep putting out for utility vehicles.
I'd much rather be horse back, we have a couple of quads at home but I'd just as soon ride a horse, a lot more work most of the time but it seems to ground me to life a bit better

Where I came from in Western Washington there are no rattle snakes. People from there are always telling me how scared they are of snakes. Next time they tell me that I plan to point out that I know of only one person arond here snake bit. That was 35 years ago. She recovered just fine. On the other hand I know family members of two people killed on quads in this area.

Latest posts