tractors ???

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
I need some help, thinking of getting a new tractor. Now I have a small massey 235 with loader. It is a good tractor but I sometimes have trouble moving the 5x6 bales. I think I need a 4x4 and little more hp. The massey is a 35 hp. two wheel drive. I'm thinking maybe something 50 to 75 hp. but no cab. Any suggestions' thanks!

I don't know much about tractors except whats in my own little world, so I don't know about a recomendation, maybe just a description

I've got a JD 5203 with a 512 loader. 2 wheel drive. 50 hp works pretty well for me. I use it for baling, plowing, corn planting and picking, and all the other general stuff thats needed on a 100 acre place. It isn't a shift on the fly type thing, its a put it in gear and go. Goes about 20mph down the road and it has 3 gears and 3 rangesI haven't had any problem with it in the two years I've owned it.

Take it for what its worth, because I used a 1950 JD B before I got this one. I decided I needed a loader, and my shoulders just couldn't handle the steering as well as they used to...

I use a 1968 JD-2020 , 45 HP, with a 143 loader to move 5X5 rolls and it ain't big enough to go down hills or do much backing up but I am use to it so I got by for years. I also have a JD-6300 whitch is 75 HP and I am looking for a loader to fit it cheep. It will work much better.
I would recomend a 75 HP range tractor and get it with a top at least. That sun will cook you in the summer in a hay field without some cover.

alabama":3jqll38o said:
That sun will cook you in the summer in a hay field without some cover.

You know.. thats one thing that never bothered me. I usually use a lightweight longsleeve cotton shirt and a straw hat and carry a jug of water on the tracor and after I get a good sweat going am pretty good. Sure beats the cost of one of those cabs...

I have an Agco 8765 - 85 hp FWA with agco loader. cab is quiet and comfortable, loader will place 5' bales 3 high with ease. 7' wide loader bucket is very heavy when loaded with dirt and makes the rear end light - fluid in the tires would be nice. cummins diesel is very smooth running with no problems as of yet.

ROB

The Bachelor":2o6zuno1 said:
alabama":2o6zuno1 said:
That sun will cook you in the summer in a hay field without some cover.

You know.. thats one thing that never bothered me. I usually use a lightweight longsleeve cotton shirt and a straw hat and carry a jug of water on the tracor and after I get a good sweat going am pretty good. Sure beats the cost of one of those cabs...

I don't use a cab but I got to have some cover. on the 2020 I have an umbrella and the 6300 has a top but no sides.

After using open topped tractors for years I was amazed at how much cooler just having a roof over my head was. Not as good as a cab with heat and AC but sure beats the sun grilling the snot out of me.

dun

We have a 2030 w/ a cloth canopy that you can take off to do shredding in trees and stuff but it sure helps to have some shade on the open fields. It only cost $120 at TSC. I rarely drive that tractor though - I drive a 4030 w/ cab. The cab w/ A/C sure helps out if you are like me and have asthma-alergies because I'm always the one that shreds-sprays-and bales hay which are all activities I probably would not be able to do without the cab. Just something to think about.

I never owned a tractor with 4wd or a cab when I moved to NY 14 years. Heck I never owned a pick-up with 4wd. The first winter up here I was hopeless and helpless. I bet you could hear the neighbors laughing clear to Texas. I learned my lesson, and I soon found that summer was a lot more fun.

I used to do all my cutting, Baling, raking, brushoging, everything without a cab. Bought a new tractor with a cab alittle over a year ago, and now I wouldn't be without it. Last summer I was mowing a field and I noticed billions of insects and pollen and crap floating around. It reminded me of Scuba diving in the ocean. I thought man I never noticed all this crap before. I think I just couldn't open my eyes to see it. No wonder I had hayfever all the time. I actually had fun in the field last summer.Being able to breathe and see.

I've driven both 2wd & 4wd. In this weather down here, all a 2wd does is spin or slide with a bale. 4wd also helps not digging the be nice outta my pasture. IMO, 4wd is the only way to go with a front end loader. Now, as far as big bales go, I don't have any water or weights. When you pick up a real heavy bale with the front, it'll lift the back up. Counterweight: bale on back. I have a Kubota M4700, with counterweights, water, or weights it will pick up any bale I can get aholt of. I have a diamond plate roof w/some kinda insulation board between it and the frame. Beats the sun baking on you.

First month I had my Kubota 90 horse with cab I turned over a wood pile and found a huge hornets nest...never seen this kind of hornet in Texas before. Anyway, they were bouncing off the cab glass...any doubt I had about the cost of the cab was erased.

In the hay fields if it is not hornets it's bumble bees. We run into 2-3 of 'em every year. The cab on the Ford 8600 is a must when those guys are found.

You folks out in south Texas must be concerned with the Africanized bees also...aren't you?

We got the same problem with bumble bees down here as well. They nest in the ground and you don't find them until you run over them. Others may correct me but I believe the African bees have mated with native to produce a hybrid that is not quite as aggressive.

Proverbs 12:10":10swvx1o said:
We got the same problem with bumble bees down here as well. They nest in the ground and you don't find them until you run over them. Others may correct me but I believe the African bees have mated with native to produce a hybrid that is not quite as aggressive.
the africanized bees that have mated with native beescan still tear you up.they arnt that easy tempered as you think.

Latest posts