Tractor Key

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
Basically (to my limited knowledge) John Deere has one key for many of its tractors. Does anyone rekey their switch?

Drzr":1cl9az52 said:
Basically (to my limited knowledge) John Deere has one key for many of its tractors. Does anyone rekey their switch?
I just bought a new switch off Ebay. Very cheap and comes with key. Easy to install.

I took the question as bad guy could have pocket full keys and come steal my tractor. If that is the question no i pay for insurance.

dun":33y29y73 said:
Why would you want to?

I would think (with my limited knowledge) it would eliminate "ANYONE" with a John Deere key from having access to my tractor.

Drzr":3a6u5six said:
dun":3a6u5six said:
Why would you want to?

I would think (with my limited knowledge) it would eliminate "ANYONE" with a John Deere key from having access to my tractor.
So would a simple switch to kill the electrical

dun":2fu52cho said:
Drzr":2fu52cho said:
dun":2fu52cho said:
Why would you want to?

So would a simple switch to kill the electrical

No. But maybe it would eliminate walk up, put key in, drive off

It happens around here from time to time but the tractor is usually found in short order and usually stuck because the thieves think its invincible. Its not like someone can steal it and blend in on the street and top speed is less than 25mph so a high speed chase is not gonna happen. There are far more things to worry about

Drzr":nvu1tfwp said:
dun":nvu1tfwp said:
Why would you want to?

Law enforcement isn't going to look for it anyway as they all look the same.
That is why you pay insurance as someone stated keys are in mine 24/7.

Caustic Burno":1c0dqe8u said:
Drzr":1c0dqe8u said:
dun":1c0dqe8u said:
Why would you want to?

If someone really wants to steal it they aren;t all that hard to hotwire, easier then a car or truck

dun":dj7z6eub said:
Caustic Burno":dj7z6eub said:
Drzr":dj7z6eub said:

If someone really wants to steal it they aren;t all that hard to hotwire, easier then a car or truck

HOtwire is not even required on tractors with a pull stop, Just use a wrench to on starter solenoid

Very true M5 my 77 Massey the key only cranks it and supplies power to the gauges. You can turn it off put the key in your pocket and work the old tractor all day.

I carry both a JD and a Cat key and have for years. Have had to either move or use dozers all over the south when I was on a wildfire or when I was stuck.

Latest posts