Tractor and Loader

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone have a MFWD 7210 John Deere with a 645 Koyker front end loader? We are looking at a package deal, and want to know if the 645 loader is a little much for the 7210, or is it a bit much to keep attached all year? It shows it to be OK for the model tractor, but it is the highest model they recommend. The man said he would take a cut on the loader, but if anyone is finding it is a bit much, I don't want to damage the front end wagging large tight wound hay bales around.

Chuckie

I don't think you'll ever hurt the front axle of a 7210 with MFWD with a bale of hay. Like RBB said I would worry more about the loader.

Larry

Red Bull Breeder,
A John Deere loader would be nice!!!! I don't know of anyone that will part with a JD loader that has been "slightly" used!! The new ones..........Ouch! The pocket book says we can have a tractor, and a used loader; or, if we get a new John Deere loader, we can't have afford the tractor too. That loader would look pretty sitting under the shed on pallets waiting for us to save up for a tractor!! This is going to be a tough one!!

Chuckie

They will handle the hay ok chuckie, and likely the silage. Just saying if you hang it on something solid you might drive that 7210 thur it.

Here's a listing of a 7210 2 wd with a Koyker loader and 6000 hrs on it.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5477717

Can't be too bad a combination except it is beyond me why anyone would have a loader on anything but a mfwd tractor.

In a livestock operation I think the loader is almost more important than a new tractor. A 7210 with an ALO/Quicke loader is a nice combination. Quicke loaders are mostly sold through Case dealers these days as I understand it. What about putting a new loader on a good lower cost used tractor?

5 years from now it is not going to be any easier to afford and you will thank youself many times for doing it right the first time.

I agree with folks above however that you want a loader that you can easily raise the front of the tractor or hit about anything without damge - because you WILL hit about anything over time. jmho. Good luck. Jim

SRBeef,
I agree with you on the MFWD. Can you believe we have a 61 model 3010 2WD that the front end loader never comes off of!! And it keeps on ticking!! But it is not over stressed. But I know exactly what you are talking about. That is one of the many reasons we want a newer model tractor. The little 3010 will raise the hay spear as high as it can, but the hydraulics are not going to be like it is in a 7210. Plus, the cab.... Ahhh

Now back to the subject of the "New" tractor. It would be nice to have a new tractor (Mostly with a metal hood and fenders) but when I say a new tractor, that means it is new to me. I say that, and don't really think about how people accept my way of explaing it. The people around here, know what it means when you get something new; it just means something different. But it can be old!!!! I guess it is much like going up North where everything they drink carbonated are called, "Pops" and here in the South, everything we drink are called, "Cokes."

I have seen many people spend money on trying to get by on the cheapest way out, then turning around and having to spend the big bucks. That is not a good way to learn a lesson.
Thanks Jim.
Chuckie

MFWD is handy, but we only need it about two or thre times a year. If I need it I'll just run over to the dairy and get theirs. So far I've never had to do that.

Here's a picture of my tractor and loader. Loader s put a lot of weight on the front axle, and unload the rear axle, without MFWD in my hills etc I'd be stuck much of the time I pick anything up with the loader.

I usually have a 3 point spear on the back and pick up a bale there first but in this snow picture I needed the blade on the rear.

This is a nice combination of a cost effective tractor and a very good loader. I have the wheels spaced out as far as they can go so it is almost square - and stable. Jim

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Here is how I usually carry bales:

IMG_4072_1BaleQualitywithSleeves.jpg

I look at the loader as being almost more important than the tractor. My Christmas present to myself this year was an hydraulic top link for the three point hitch I just installed over the weekend. My goodness what an improvement that makes! I can hitch things easier with the quick hitch and level the rear forks to pickup a bale but then tip it forward so it is safer in transport, esp if I am going uphill.

With fluid filled tires even on OUR hills I don;t have a problem with the tires unloading. It doesn;t matter if it's bucket (6 foot) full of clay or rocks or a 1500 lb bale of hay on the loader.

Dun,
Is it because of the rocky soil? Or are you on hilly ground and the drain off is fast?

SRBeef,
You are in the same shape we are, just in a different form. We are in mud. The ground doesn't freeze deep here, but one occasion it will. When it does, it may go one foot. We only have to go 2 feet for our water lines.

I can't tell you how many times we see tractors buried deep in mud. Sometimes they look like the people just step off of the platform on to the ground. I am sure there is a "soda" hole that they hit, but where the cattle gather, you need traction. Here, the land is flat, and it is clay and loam. So, the deeper you go, the more trouble you get into.

Chuckie

Chuckie":w818qlq0 said:
Dun,
Is it because of the rocky soil? Or are you on hilly ground and the drain off is fast?

SRBeef,
You are in the same shape we are, just in a different form. We are in mud. The ground doesn't freeze deep here, but one occasion it will. When it does, it may go one foot. We only have to go 2 feet for our water lines.

I can't tell you how many times we see tractors buried deep in mud. Sometimes they look like the people just step off of the platform on to the ground. I am sure there is a "soda" hole that they hit, but where the cattle gather, you need traction. Here, the land is flat, and it is clay and loam. So, the deeper you go, the more trouble you get into.

Chuckie
Mud but it rarely is deeper then 6 inches or so. The 2 times a year is when we get a layer of ice and I have to put out hay.

dun":17ztkcd7 said:
With fluid filled tires even on OUR hills I don;t have a problem with the tires unloading. It doesn;t matter if it's bucket (6 foot) full of clay or rocks or a 1500 lb bale of hay on the loader.

Fluid in your tires does make everything stable and give you traction. I had it in and have taken it out. I found I was causing an enormous amount of compaction year around in my heavy clay soils, especially when it is a bit wet. I am going lighter but MFWD for all operations.

My neighbor uses fluid also and his is very stable, but he is not out in his fields as much as I am.

Fluid has an advantage in that it is not as tough on front axles as added frame weights.

Jim

The fluid in the tires is good unless you are in stuble are things that might stick through the tires normaly fluid will make it worse it makes the tires have more weight and less give just a little food for thought and the koyker loader that is all most people use around here (SE OK) the work great for round hay I have used the one I have on a 6310 JD MFWD and we use it for everything from spreading gravel to loading our dump truck!! The are plenty stout for what ever your use is!!!

SRBeef, if I go to the poor house, you are have contributed to new job of holding coffee cans at the at the interstate of "get off ramps" I don' know how to word my sign when I do this. :help:

I found a slightly used John Deere loader, but now I have to find Brackets for it to hook to the tractor. The Loader looks great. But now for the brackets..

We Keep fluid in the rear tires also of both 3010's.

Chuckie

OSU cowboy22":10h514f8 said:
The fluid in the tires is good unless you are in stuble are things that might stick through the tires normaly fluid will make it worse it makes the tires have more weight and less give just a little food for thought and the koyker loader that is all most people use around here (SE OK) the work great for round hay I have used the one I have on a 6310 JD MFWD and we use it for everything from spreading gravel to loading our dump truck!! The are plenty stout for what ever your use is!!!

But it gives you a lot of time to get out of the field and to a place where it can be repaired without a roadservice call.

1982vett":3gk417m7 said:
OSU cowboy22":3gk417m7 said:

But it gives you a lot of time to get out of the field and to a place where it can be repaired without a roadservice call.

That is true im not saying its a bad thing I just kinda like the bale spike on the back espiciallywhen Im stacking hay !

Spike on the rear doesn't fit my situation. :D
file.php

Will use a rear lift with the front end fork if I'm not trailering them to the barn. Unless I'm stacking in the field it is all front end. If I'm stacking in the field it is two stacks... one straight ahead for the front and one directly behind for the rear.

I just prefer forks over the spears. Hard to move a bale that doesn't string with a spear. :oops: